Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Can this short film help you explain what MS is like?

• Can this short film help you explain what MS is like?

Posted by ed-tobias on August 14, 2018 at 7:31 pm

A group in the UK called shift.ms has produced a 10 minute film that’s designed to show what it’s like to have MS. Here’s a link to it on YouTube.

Do you think this film provides an accurate view of living with MS? Do you think that someone without MS can watch it and come away with a better understanding of some of what we go through?

ed-tobias replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jacqueline

August 15, 2018 at 6:06 am

I think GP’S need some educating as to this is not just a young persons illness – disease…I was 62 – 63 when I first started mentioning things were changing when I peed, I would mention it as ” if I had two separate sacks ” and strange things were starting to happen to my walking, I would mention it as if I went into ” flipper mode ” followed by ” robotic ” walking…Well the way I see it, in their eyes these things were to be expected as I am now a senior in age, more bladder urination and walking – balance problems the medics will see as the norm, to them these are natural processes of our ageing game…Well I have got news for them…listen to us seniors when we say…” something strange is happening to my body…” as I often did when trying to get the message across to them….” I even had one male GP flick his hand in amusement when I mentioned once to him when on my way out of his surgery room…” could it be MS…” he found my question rather amusing…Of course he moved o another surgery soon after my MS diagnoses so I never got the chance nor the pleasure of saying to him…” So who’s the crazy one now?..”because I know that was what was going through his mind at the time I asked him…

• ed-tobias

August 20, 2018 at 9:21 am

I think it was a bit over-dramatic but the general concept that it wanted to get across to viewers was spot on.

Ed

• jacqueline

August 15, 2018 at 6:20 am

I meant to have said this GP moved to another surgery just before my MS diagnoses, not after…so I never had the pleasure of telling him…” hey do you remember me asking you if this could be MS?  “

• ed-tobias

August 17, 2018 at 1:47 pm

There’s a second video that’s quite different from what shift.ms has produced. I’ve written about both of these approaches to portraying people with MS in my MS Wire column that posted today.

• jacqueline

August 17, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Ed…

…I didn’t think it was going to be so tough watching your second clip, but it was tough…It was as if I was feeling sorry for these people, feeling pity for them, as if I was watching on the outside looking in…then it clicked that I was one of these people myself…

Jackie…