Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Do you ever have to cancel plans or appointments due to MS?

• Do you ever have to cancel plans or appointments due to MS?

Posted by Debi Wilson on January 21, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Does MS and it’s symptoms keep you from appointments or attending events? How does that make you feel? How often does it happen?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Jacqueline

January 22, 2019 at 11:13 am

Debi…

…it hasn’t done so far but then I dont go to many places nor have many appointments…It did on occasion stop me from attending one or two of my once a month MS social evening gatherings, but that’s to be expected, not only by me but also some of the other MS members…

If on the other hand I am thinking on going somewhere particularly someplace I am not familiar with, I have to check this place- building has a loo, if not, I wont go…This happened over Christmas, I had to choose wisely when attending Church Christmas Carols services…Not all churches have an inside or even an outside loo, and the ones that do, have their loo in the church hall across the road or lane usually in the car park area…

• Debi Wilson

January 22, 2019 at 5:05 pm

I can relate to checking out places ahead of time,it is a must!  I once went to a restaurant where the door frames going into the bathroom were so narrow my walker wouldn’t fit through.  It was totally not handicapped friendly, I felt like I was in a child’s playhouse.

• Jacqueline

January 23, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Debi…

…that’s bad…I guess as far as this restaurant was concerned, they see it that the handicapped dont eat, or if they do, they – we dont go out to eat…

• Debi Wilson

January 23, 2019 at 3:42 pm

Yes, it was bad. Sometimes, people just don’t have a clue. If they haven’t been around people with disabilities they don’t understand.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 23, 2019 at 5:55 pm

MS has taken away my confidence and made me fat.  I was always skinny but not now.  I go nowhere.  Basically it’s because of my bowel and bladder issues, I get no warning when I need to go.   I have taken myself out of the real world, I have no desire to go out.  The interent is my world now,  thank god for that.  So lucky to have the internet for entertainment.  As for plans, well I don’t make any to cancel them lol.

• Debi Wilson

January 23, 2019 at 6:10 pm

I’m sorry Jilly.  But I understand,  I don’t go many places either.  I am excited to go and have a reunion with my brother and sister next month. But, it will be a long drive and they both have stairs at their houses. I can think of a million things that can go wrong, and I think of backing out daily. But, if I plan ahead , eat the correct foods (  I have food intolerances), drink water at the correct intervals , I think I will be ok! lol

It sounds ridiculous but I have to do a lot of planning to go somewhere .  And seeing them is important to me so I’m going to go for it! Dang this MS!! ?

• MODY

January 24, 2019 at 11:48 am

Hi Debi

yes, I  couldn’t leave home so many times due to bladder problems that prevented me of leaving home.

Regards

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      January 24, 2019 at 4:42 pm

Hey Debi.  What I have come to know is I will not be told by anyone what to do.  That may be viewed as detrimental  by others, but it’s my choice all the way now.  I don’t exercise, I eat what I like.  My alter ego has turned into an obstinate second personality lol, finally.  It makes me laugh when I joke about myself, good stuff.

It is a big deal adjusting to having this illness, it’s taken me since 2012 till now and I am still adapting.  big process and it sucks lol.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      January 24, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Mody, my doctor has precribed me with Oxybutyin for my bladder and works a treat, takes away the urgency, and has also helped by bowel too.  What a relief is all I can say it’s amazing.

• MODY

January 25, 2019 at 12:18 am

Thank you for good news Jilleen. After using MMS1 recently, bladder & bowel are much better now. Also I felt my left foot joint became much stronger.
        Regards

• Debi Wilson

January 24, 2019 at 11:50 am

Sorry to hear that MODY,  MS is terrible!!

• MODY

January 26, 2019 at 11:46 am

Yes Debi it is, but I’m doing my best to live while there’s no cure yet

thanks ?

• Debi Wilson

January 26, 2019 at 11:50 am

Yes, It’s all we can do, MODY. ?