Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Treating MS Alternative Treatments Does Anyone Use Medical Marijuana for Spasticity?

• Does Anyone Use Medical Marijuana for Spasticity?

Posted by john-connor on August 3, 2022 at 3:50 pm

Using medical marijuana helps me significantly when it comes to managing my spasticity. However, for various reasons, I can’t get any right now. As such, I’m relying on diazepam at a level that isn’t healthy.
    Do you use medical marijuana for managing spasticity?
    Cheers John

ed-tobias replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jessica-james

March 17, 2023 at 4:38 pm

Hi John,

I’ve managed to get a prescription for MMJ here in Texas under compassionate use program. I also take 1 milligram of diazepam right before bed. I’m a drug lightweight

I’ve tweaked and re tweaked my MMJ dose and now have the 1:1 tincture of cbd:thc which I cut with my favorite plain cbd. Two parts cbd to one part tincture and take half a milliliter at bed time.

I’ve found the combo very relaxing and prevents night spasms and restless leg and lets me Sleep very well. I could probably skip the diazepam but if it ain’t broke…

Cheers,
    Jessica

• robbie2499

July 31, 2023 at 11:39 am

Spasticity is exactly why I use it. That and also it helps my mental health.

• ed-tobias

August 3, 2023 at 4:36 pm

Do you use a particular strain and in what form do you use it, e.g. smoking, eatable?

Ed

• gayle06

October 27, 2023 at 6:39 pm

No, I haven’t tried it. But I am thinking I might want to try CBD (with no THC).

Right now, I am using Baclofen at night only. I am new to spasticity issues…last year my legs started cramping (only in mornings or after sitting for 2 or 3 hours) but now my thigh muscles are tight and hurt most all the time and cramp off and on. So now I have definitely moved from RRMS to SPMS. I am thinking if Baclofen doesn’t do the trick, I might try CBD.

• ed-tobias

October 30, 2023 at 11:38 am

Hi Gayle,

I used to take 10mg baclofen before bed each night but I stopped doing that. I now use Gabapentin before bed and take a tablet of baclofen if my spasticity/cramping gets bad. I think staying hydrated helps prevent the cramping.

I’ve used CBD gummies, occasionally, to help me sleep. They haven’t seemed to help for cramping, however. I think a combination of THC/CBD might be needed for that. Someone at a good marijuana dispensary, or a THC/CBD website, may be able to give you more specific advice.

Ed