Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Treating MS Alternative Treatments Has anyone tried therapeutic horseback riding ?

• Has anyone tried therapeutic horseback riding ?

Posted by Debi Wilson on May 4, 2018 at 10:38 am

Therapeutic horseback riding or hippotherapy, can help stretch and relax hip and leg muscles. It has been recommended for MS patients.

Have you tried it? Is it something you would consider?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lois Stricker

July 19, 2018 at 11:38 pm

I try and ride my horse 1x a week- sometimes when my feet are not co=operating the horse helps, especially on days when there is a time lapse between the feet and the brain. Another benefit it the stretching- my horse is very patient and is pretty good when I have foot twitches.

• ed-tobias

July 22, 2018 at 12:31 pm

About five years ago, before I retired and moved, I got back on a horse for the first time since I was 11 or 12 years ago. A therapeutic riding program, promoted by the MS Society in the Wash, DC area, got me back in the saddle at age 63.

After six months of riding, under the guidance of an instructor trained in hippo-therapy, I went from being wobbly on a lead line, to being able to ride, on at a trot, on my own. And I went from being able to remove my feet from the stirrups for only a few seconds to riding without them for 3 or 4 minutes.

The once-a-week riding improved my core and leg muscles and helped my balance. I loved it. I wish I could continue but I haven’t been able to find a similar program near me since we moved to Maryland’s Eastern Shore.

Ed

• Debi Wilson

July 20, 2018 at 1:04 pm

That sounds amazing Lois! I would love to try that. You are so lucky to have your own gentle horse.  Thanks for sharing this!

• Debi Wilson

July 22, 2018 at 1:18 pm

That is encouraging, Ed. I am going to look in to it!  Hopefully, I can get on the horse, that is my challenge! ?

• ed-tobias

July 22, 2018 at 3:51 pm

At the stable where I rode they brought the horse up to a platform that was level with his left stirrup. With the help of my instructor I was able to mount and dismount with relative ease.

• Debi Wilson

July 22, 2018 at 9:31 pm

That sounds perfect, thanks Ed!