Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Hopping Down the Symptom Trail: Myofascial Release

• Hopping Down the Symptom Trail: Myofascial Release

Posted by ms-news-today-moderator on April 14, 2018 at 10:35 am

In this column, Multiple Sclerosis News Today patient and columnist, Judy Lyn, talks about myofascial release approach:

“It seemed to be such a harmless rabbit hole. After last week’s column on Rolfing— and a response divided between those who thought it sounded like terrible torture and those who agreed it was torture but they liked it — I decided to explore some other ideas suggested by readers.

The myofascial release approach

“I began this column in the hopes of learning about myofascial release. The next thing I knew, I was reading about how brothers Pierre and Jacques Curie demonstrated the first piezoelectric effect by using crystals of tourmaline, quartz, topaz, cane sugar, and Rochelle salt. The most effective of these were quartz and Rochelle salt.

“According to Nanomotion’s impressively scientific piezoelectric effect article (that I struggled to understand): “When piezoelectric material is placed under mechanical stress, a shifting of the positive and negative charge centers in the material takes place, which then results in an external electrical field. When reversed, an outer electrical field either stretches or compresses the piezoelectric material.”

“Cool. Visions of X-Men flashed through my mind. Or (nerd alert) did it Surge through my mind? I stopped myself from taking a side tunnel to see if the brothers were related to Marie Curie, but did pause briefly to munch on a carrot while pondering the fact that it took the waging of World War I for science to find a practical application of piezoelectricity and create the sonar device. At this point, I backed my fluffy tail back out of the rabbit hole and refocused on the task at hand.”

Read more of what Judy has to say here: “Hopping Down the Symptom Trail: Myofascial Release

What do your know about the myofascial release approach? Share your experience below.

replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.