Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Is falling an issue for you? Is there anything you can do to help prevent them?

• Is falling an issue for you? Is there anything you can do to help prevent them?

Posted by debi-wilson on January 23, 2019 at 11:06 am

Is falling down an issue for you?  Do you have any triggers that contribute to your falls.   Are there any precautions that can help you to prevent them?

debi-wilson replied 5 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 23, 2019 at 5:45 pm

Yes falling is an issue for me, I also get ankle roll.  Each step I take I have to concenrate, if I take my mind of it for a millisecond I am in trouble.  My knee and ankle and balance all give me trouble.  I use a walker, that’s all I can do.

• debi-wilson

January 23, 2019 at 6:16 pm

Yes, it’s all we can do! I am in the same boat.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      January 24, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Yerp Debi, it’s all we can do, don’t let your guard down lol.

• debi-wilson

January 24, 2019 at 5:33 pm

Lol

• jacqueline

February 14, 2019 at 9:43 am

Also forgot to mention…my right leg, which is my bad leg feels good, dont know if the fall has done something, as for my good leg, my left leg is now feeling bad…Guess we must always look for any positives that come from our negatives…Wouldn’t this be great if the fall has miraculously dealt with my bad leg, or am I wishing too much…

• jacqueline

February 14, 2019 at 9:45 am

Oh did I mention I am now left with two bright red knee burn reminders of crawling on my knees over rough plastic gripping kitchen rug, wooden floor then carpet…even carpet was hurting my knees  I had to give up and roll over. Then once I reached the end of his bed I took time to play with the dog who was wondering why I was down on the ground at his level and was jumping all over my face…

Jackie…

• jacqueline

February 14, 2019 at 9:45 am

Just taken a fall, in the kitchen of all places…My foot caught in the mat, I went flying forwards, tried to stop my fall by catching hold of the kitchen chair, still went down right on top of my left ( good leg ) knee bending it right back with my fall weight landing on it…I had to massage the back of the knee until I felt confident to move..The person I live with came from his bedroom ( 8.am ) to my aid but I told him there was nothing he could do…I had to get up by myself somehow but, as I was looking around there was nothing secure that I could grab onto so I sat there massaging the back of my knee, of course the dog came around me wondering what I was doing down on the ground, well I didn’t choose to be down there…The only way I had a chance of getting back up was turning myself over onto my knees, my now bent back knee, and crawling to somewhere that I could haul myself up, oh the kitchen mat was rough and hurting both knees, the carpet when I reached it also hurt, so I turned back over, thought for a while before deciding the only way was to scoot my backside into his bedroom, grab hold of the end of the bed, the mattress and try hauling myself up, it worked, hallelujah…I still have to e careful as the back from the knee down is likely to give way to me as I walk, as it still has a dull ache…I dont want to be going down again…Oh the joys of our MS…NOT…

Jackie

• debi-wilson

February 14, 2019 at 10:55 am

I’m sorry to hear of your fall, Jackie! I relived my fall all over again reading about yours. Falling is the worst! Praying for a quick recovery for your sore knee and for the aftermath stress that goes with it! ❤️

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 14, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Jackie, that’s a buggar, sorry you fell. I hope you didn’t hurt yourself too badly.

• jacqueline

February 14, 2019 at 4:41 pm

I dont hurt but it has kindof messed me up…my bad leg is now my good leg, my good leg is now my bad leg, well for the time being. I have also become very unsteady as I walk through my home.

Jilly..

..well something else we have in common, we have both fallen within a short few weeks of each other.

Debi..

..my good leg, or rather my bad leg has the constant feel that its going to give way on me, I have become more dizzy as I walk, more so in the kitchen when I walk over the same spots that I fell…

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 15, 2019 at 8:27 am

I remember when my MS started before I was DX’ed falling in the woods hunting and falling at work over a crack in the cement floor and being so embarressed and that people are thinking I must be drunk or something but falling in the woods duck hunting with my buddies got bad when I fell with my shotgun and accidentally firing off a shot almost shooting my dog that ended my hunting that way, I walked to my spot with a unloaded gun sat down and hunted that way but after a few years later I had to stop hunting and working as a plastic injecting machinist because I could no longer clime on and off the machines and I fell off the machines a few times and that is when I said enough is enough of this I need to find out what is going on with my 36 year old butt, so after test after test my doc say’s you do not have a life threatening problem but you do have MS but falling down is just part of my life now but I am getting good at holding myself up when I do need to walk knock on wood.

• debi-wilson

February 15, 2019 at 10:08 am

Thanking for sharing your story, Steven. I’m sorry that you had to give up so much. MS has a way of doing that to us though, doesn’t it.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 15, 2019 at 10:49 am

Yes it does but I have just found new work and hobbies to do

• debi-wilson

February 15, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Great, being adaptable is the best.