Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Treating MS Alternative Treatments Medical Marijuana – Yes or No?

• John Connor

Administrator
    June 25, 2022 at 9:14 am

No go at all by any of my Dr’s in the UK even though it became quasi-legal a couple of years ago. None of their various hospitals allow it. Even Sativex which is totally legal – though in this case none will fund it.

• ed-tobias

June 26, 2022 at 8:44 pm

That, my friend, is a real bummer.

• Dave Wright

April 19, 2023 at 10:04 am

My girlfriend has RRMS for the last 25 or so years. No progression to SPMS, as she has not had a relapse in the last 3 years and has not had a Retuxin infusion for over two years. She’s between 3.5 to 5.5 on the EDSS. She is 57 years old. She has been using cannabis for many years and it seems to keep her progression down pretty well. She does smoke the flower, of which I’m trying to get her to go to edibles. She’s been on the Retuxin as long as I’ve known her in the last 3 years. I want her to talk to her neurologist about switching over to Briumvi, as it is a specific MS DMT, whereas Retuxin is more of a Cancer drug. Thanks. Dave Wright

• Rob

October 25, 2022 at 9:29 am

Yes about four years ago my doctor wrote me a recommendation. I call it recommendation because they had no idea what types what levels etc. mostly by trial and error. Used all types but found pill form seem to work the best and easiest for sleep and spasm control. At least maybe a little bit of help. I found 50% THC 50% CBD worked the best for me. have found other better ways to control sleep inflammation and eliminate spasms. I have nothing against it or nothing bad to say about it other than it’s just kind of a pain in the **** to jump through all the hoops to get it and I was able to use it as a bridge two other DMT’s

• robbie2499

July 31, 2023 at 11:37 am

Yes, absolutely.  I find it helps me mentally as well as with spasms.  Taking a muscle relaxer doesn’t help much, only makes me weak and tired, so for me, marijuana is a better option.

• ed-tobias

October 26, 2022 at 11:03 am

Thanks for the info, Rob. I’ve found that the 50/50 THC/CBD split is too much for me. I’ll occasionally use half a CBD gummy to help ease my twitching legs in bed at night. That’s it.

• Rob

October 26, 2022 at 11:12 am

About a month ago we were in Colorado for a few days of family vacation. One of the folks was a clinician who brought us some  gummies as he knew I had Ms and to see if it helped for sleep. I don’t know the levels but started with  half a gummy for several nights and finally to finish off the package the whole gummy. I don’t know if I build a tolerance or my sleeping habits have gotten better. I noticed no difference this time around good bad or indifferent.

• Brad Thomas

October 31, 2022 at 3:16 pm

My doctors in NC won’t prescribe it.

• ed-tobias

November 4, 2022 at 12:23 pm

That’s too bad, Brad. Of course, you can get a similar benefit from the CBD/THC combinations that you can get in many drug stores, and all over the internet.

Ed

• Cor

September 18, 2023 at 9:02 pm

I am a caregiver for my daughter with MS. I use medical marijuana for my medical condition and found it is a trial and error to find the right strain. I look for particular terpenes in the various strains that I know help my condition. The one issue we have here in our dispensaries is that when you find “the strain”, it could be months before it is back in stock.

• ed-tobias

September 19, 2023 at 4:35 pm

Thanks for the useful info, Cor. I’d love to see some specific information about various strains and MS, and also some quality control standards. It’s hard enough to figure out how to use prescription medications, but the use of marijuana products seems like a crap shoot to me.

Ed