Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Treating MS Alternative Treatments Music therapy: What type of music helps you to relax?

• Jacqueline

May 2, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Not so much a music therapy but more a sound therapy when I registered with an MS Therapy Centre three months ago…was an alternative type therapy called a Gong Bath…no not an actual bath as the title suggests but, surrounding oneself in a bathing of sounds and vibrations by the person using a set of varying in sizes gongs, whilst putting you in a meditative state…To date I have had two sessions and not sure what if anything was happening but, I did sense something of a vibration on the lower part of my leg, and on the next session my toes had some twinges….so I know the sound waves were doing something…all in all, i found the sessions very relaxing and the sounds loud but not unbearable…Of course this is not a miracle cure, and told the effects would last around an hour…

• Debi Wilson

May 2, 2018 at 5:37 pm

That sounds interesting Jackie! Will you be going back ?

• Jacqueline

May 3, 2018 at 12:47 am

Debi I would like to but it is a 46 mile journey and last time we got their just as it was starting and as their are only four raised beds, they were already taken but…thankfully to one lady who gave her bed up for me ( not sure she had MS, after I saw how fast she left the building, ) where she went down onto the floor…There are only four beds and I am assuming usually only that many usually attend this class…Of course the floor would not be an option for me, and the thought of this happening again after the lengthy journey where I couldn’t be expecting others to give up their bed for me, just a shame not more raised beds were available…It would be a therapy I would recommend to others to try who have MS, as I do believe it has some form of healing benefits…causing our brainwaves to change…

• Debi Wilson

May 3, 2018 at 11:01 am

I will check in to that program, it sounds interesting. I’m Sorry  Jackie, that it is a bed  and distance that keeps you away from the class. But, I understand with MS, especially traveling ,  we have to look at every angle !

• Garnet

May 3, 2018 at 11:33 am

For me Enya’s music always relaxes me, also the Spa channel on Sirius XM, which I also use to calm children or dog’s in the car 😉

But I have to say that I also feel very relaxed just being outside listening to birds songs and the bees buzzing.

• Debi Wilson

May 3, 2018 at 12:01 pm

All of those suggestion sound relaxing Garnet!  Thanks for sharing those.

• Jacqueline

May 3, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Garnet…

…you have just this minute reminded me that since moving to our now home deep in the valleys and surrounded by wildlife, a truly scenic spot…I can now sit outside and enjoy the birds that come to my feeder, ( I have three, including a wooden ground feeder ) and I feel at peace listening to the sounds of the birds….this is where I get my most spiritual enjoyment…Oh and I have seen other wildlife come into our back garden such as a young fox, pheasant, partridge, weasel or stoat, not sure which…Oh and up in the valleys there are now cows…yet the other side of those valleys and hills is the sea…we are near the coast yet we could be in the countryside..I do have the best of both worlds…although I prefer the countryside and nature…I am spiritual where the person I live with is not, and doesn’t appreciate the scenic views as I do…

• Garnet

May 3, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Hi Jacqueline,

I am glad to remind you of your peaceful place! We can get so caught up inside the house sometimes that it has to be a determined effort to go outside. Fortunately for me my outside pets force that issue. Like I am sure your feeders do.  🙂

• Debi Wilson

May 3, 2018 at 2:18 pm

That sounds amazing, Jackie!

• Debi Wilson

May 3, 2018 at 2:18 pm

That sounds amazing, Jackie!

• Jacqueline

May 3, 2018 at 2:16 pm

I have become a fan of Michel Pépé – Le Jardin de Cristal and Yellow Roses … very relaxing and calming…I must listen to some of his other musics…