Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      John Connor
      Keymaster

It turns out that unemployment for those of us with MS is high – 80%! ‘It especially affects patients in the early stages of the disease’.

This is interesting – I had to give up one of my jobs as it was just impossible to actually do it, even in the early stages of the disease.

Luckily I also had a part time job but as my symptoms got worse maintaining it became something of a full time enterprise. I was in the end relieved of my duties by Covid anyway.

I’d already started working here – always been multi-disciplined. Handy in the new job market before Covid at least!

It turns out one of the risk factors is to be ‘extraverted’! Ooops….

The study involved 252 people – the MS Forum has over 1000 members. What are your employment stories?

Chris Lyons
      Participant

I lost my job due to cognitive issues shortly after diagnosis. I tried to find another position in the same field but was unsuccessful. Accepting the reality of unemployability is demoralizing. One always thinks that there must be something one can do. Many work environments, despite legislation, are not friendly to those with special needs. I still feel, 26 years later, that somehow I should have found some kind of work. I am pleased that I did some volunteer work.

Ed Tobias
      Keymaster

Hi Chris,

You’re right. It’s tough to work with MS.

I was very lucky. I worked, full-time, until I was 64 years old but I had a very understanding employer, great family support, and a diseases that progressed slowly. Unfortunately, not everyone is as lucky as me.

Ed

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account