Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Treating MS MS Medications Thinking about switching to a new MS medication?

Tagged: 

• Thinking about switching to a new MS medication?

Posted by debi-wilson on May 10, 2018 at 11:19 am

Choosing the correct medication treatment can be an agonizing process for those of us with MS. We often must experiment with many drugs before finding the one that offers the best results. There can be many “risks versus rewards,” such as, side effects, and exhausting self injections. How can we approach this difficult process without becoming fearful or overwhelmed?

Cathy Chester, who has lived with MS since 1986, offers some advice to fellow patients in her informative article.

debi-wilson replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ed-tobias

May 10, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I was diagnosed in 1980 and I was a participant in the Phase III trial of Avonex. It was my first DMT and moved from it to Tysabri, Aubagio and, most recently, Lemtrada. It’s always been a consultation between my neuro and me, taking into account risks, benefits and cost. And, it’s always a balancing act. Cathy’s neuro suggested Ocrevus as one of her 3 choices. I have to wonder why Ocrevus and not Lemtrada.

• debi-wilson

May 10, 2018 at 4:19 pm

That’s a good question, Ed.  It could be based on the type of MS she has.  If she has PPMS,  then that would make sense . Maybe one of our forum guests will have insight?