Tagged: , ,

• Your MS Diagnosis

Posted by John Connor on October 6, 2022 at 2:24 pm

There are moments in life that have surprising effects on all of us.
    I had two: Around 9, when I was informed by my mother that my headmaster had been told when I disappeared for a few hours after school. Fair enough in hindsight. I went off to play with a classmate at his home. It turned out to be, for a 9-year-old, what seemed like a magical farm hidden away in our suburban environs. I lost track of time. I think I fainted at the headmaster news. Or rather, went for a theatrical move, that might lessen my agonies.
    The second was getting married. As I looked into my nearly wife’s eyes – a moment of vertigo gripped me. It seemed for a brief moment that I was swirling into a tunnel. Maybe, the tunnel of love really did exist?
    I was remarkably sanguine about my MS diagnosis. It had taken me months to actually see a neurologist to prove it. I’d lived with one sclerosis for three years – so I knew the signs that I’d had another.
    That was 13 years ago. MS has changed my life into what now also feels like somebody else’s. It was a psychological schism. Something that can’t be conquered – it can only be endured.
    Your diagnosis may be recent or far older.
    How did you feel about it as you actually got your diagnosis? And how do you feel about MS now?

ed-tobias replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ed-tobias

October 10, 2022 at 10:31 am

When I was diagnosed, in 1980, I figured I’d live with it. The only question I remember asking my neuro was “will it shorten my lifespan.” Told “maybe by a few years,” I figured I could handle that. Now, 42 years later, I have some frustrations but, over all, I continue to live with it.