Tagged: 

• COVID Vaccine

Posted by Micki on February 26, 2021 at 6:10 pm

I’m old which makes me lucky as far as the vaccine.   Received my second shot about 10 days ago.   I was one of the folks that did get a reaction.   Little fever, tired and achy.  No big deal in comparison to the relief that I am protected against this horrific disease.

Having said that, wondering of other folks’ experiences with the vaccine.   After affects and do you think your MS may have ramped up a little if you were one of the ones that had a reaction.   Have to say, I’m still a little tired.   Also, have to say we are in the process of packing and moving with all the stress of that.   Probably not all tiredness, if any, involves vaccine.       Can’t wait until we’ve been able to be vaccinated and getting back to normal.

ed-tobias replied 3 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ed-tobias

March 4, 2021 at 9:06 pm

Hi Micki,

My wife and I got our jabs of the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday. Now, a day and a half later we’ve had very few side effects. She has a headache and I was extra tired last night. That’s about it. We feel a lot more comfortable now but will still be masking, separating, hand-washing, etc for everyone’s sake. My March 12 MS Wire column will be about the vaccine experience.

Ed

• Beverley Dunne

March 8, 2021 at 10:31 am

I am in the UK and had my first shot of Astra Zeneca a week ago and did not even have a sore arm. Get the vaccine, I was a bit worried as I had a big relapse after a flu vaccine a few years ago, but no reaction at all. I thought that it would be good to know that other types other than Moderna are good too.

• ed-tobias

March 17, 2021 at 9:38 am

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for sharing that info, Beverly. That’s good to know about Astra Zeneca.

Ed

• Peg

March 30, 2021 at 10:12 am

Hello—unhappy to report that it seems my MS treatment (rituximab) may limit protection of my covid vaccine. A recent John’s Hopkins study focused on transplant recipients shares this kind of concern. A month after my 2nd Moderna shot, my doctor recommended I get an antibody test; results were negative. I hope we’ll find out there is T-cell protection despite my lack of B cells due to years of ritux; my immediate (maybe panicked) response is to take a treatment holiday and consider changing my DMT. Pardon my French, but what a big damn drag.

• ed-tobias

March 31, 2021 at 8:48 am

Hi Peg,

You’re right. Rituximab is one of the DMTs that attacks some B cells and the aim of the COVID vaccines is to build up B and T cells to attack the coronavirus. They’re working against each other.

From what I’ve read, however, though these DMTs may reduce the COVID vaccines’ effectiveness they still provide some virus protection. Some neuros are delaying DMT treatment so that the COVID vaccine can provide the best protection possible.

I’ve written about this in several of my MS Wire columns over the past year and it will be the subject of the one that will be published this Friday, April 2.

I hope you’ll continue to remain COVID-free.

(One more thing. I see you’re a Brooklynite. I grew up in Manhattan. Coming from Brooklyn you have the background needed to tell your MS: “fuggeduhboudit!!”)

Ed