Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Do you take Vitamin D for MS? If so, how much do you take?

• Do you take Vitamin D for MS? If so, how much do you take?

Posted by Debi Wilson on September 18, 2018 at 12:32 pm

My neurologist recommends taking 5000 IU of vitamin D for my MS.   How much do you take and do you feel it helps?

Debi Wilson replied 5 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Tonia Bliss Smith

September 20, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Yes I do take vitamin D 50000 two times a week.

• Debby Davis

September 21, 2018 at 10:14 am

So are you saying taking 5,000 iu of Vit. D3 Daily  is good for M.S.  ?  I take 2,000 IU daily–I must be taking to low of a dose ?

• Debi Wilson

September 21, 2018 at 10:25 am

Hi Debby,

Yes, the research shows that there are more cases of people with multiple sclerosis in areas that don’t receive as much sun.  So  it is  considered to be of benefit to those with  MS to add Vitamin D. Since it is the vitamin we receive from the sun. 5000 IU daily  is a common recommendation from neurologists. ?

• Debi Wilson

September 21, 2018 at 10:45 am

Hi Tonia,

Are you taking 50,000 IU twice a week or 5000 IU?  The recommendation by most neurologists is 5000 IU per day. You can overdo vitamin D and  if you do take to much it can be bad on your kidneys. You should definitely check with your Doctor on what is right for you.

• Jacqueline

September 21, 2018 at 12:25 pm

I have a question…If indeed it is true that the lack of vitamin D ( sunlight ) was the cause of getting MS in the first place, as some experts believe….Why do we need to take it now that we have it? our ( MS. )  Isn’t this a tad like the Idiom of  ” shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. ” The damage ha already been done…

• Debi Wilson

September 21, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Good question, Jackie. From what I have read, there is evidence that people with MS that have  adequate Vitamin D levels have lessened their MS symptoms. Also, there is s possibility of slowing progression.

They are still researching these claims. Do you Jackie, Tonia and Debby feel better taking Vit D? I do, I feel it helps my energy and my symptoms, if I stay  consistent taking it. ?

• ed-tobias

September 23, 2018 at 11:15 am

I’ve taken 5,000 units a day for years. I have no idea whether it makes me feel any better but my bloodwork shows my D levels are good.

Ed

• Jacqueline

September 23, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Ed, I guess the only way for you to find out if it makes you ” feel any better ” is to stop taking it for a while…then you will have your answer…If everyone is happy with your bloodwork, it must be doing some magic…

• ed-tobias

September 24, 2018 at 9:36 am

Jackie,

I’ll just keep taking it. It’s inexpensive and easy to take once a day.

Ed

• Jacqueline

October 12, 2018 at 3:05 pm

Guess the jury is still out, re, the ” role of vitamin D in myelin repair..” as to whether it is worth taking it AFTER one gets MS…link…

http://www.verywellhealth.com/dietary-supplements-may-help-repair-myelin-4156580

• Debi Wilson

October 12, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for sharing the link Jackie. It was interesting,  and I agree with you we don’t know if the damage is done and irreversible. But,  I will keep taking the vitamin D because maybe it will help and I do feel better on it.

Have you tried any other supplements?

• Patricia O'Connor

October 14, 2018 at 6:14 pm

I take 4000 mcgm of D3 sublingually. Am a Nutritionist with MS and write medical books.my author name is Trisha O’Connor / publisher Amazon.

Really liked your article! I wrote about the humidity in Lfp once. I didn’t think I would here about it again until you wrote about it. Yeah!

Would like to to do a large scale study on humidity in London, with me?

I work as a volunteer for hemochromatosis society developed survey:

<div style=”font-family: ‘lucida console’, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;”>
    <div id=”yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1531401137098_5626″ dir=”ltr”>https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PISLrUMkXtVQ6xUNnApY44bmdYKKrle4GyyJrTU8MGc/edit#responses</div>
    </div>

• Debi Wilson

October 14, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Thank-you, Patricia for joining in the discussion and your comments! It all sounds very interesting, I will check in to it .