Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Do you think MS is a rare disease?

• Do you think MS is a rare disease?

Posted by ed-tobias on February 24, 2023 at 6:00 am
    February 28 is Rare Disease Day

Do you think MS is a rare disease? Is having a day to bring attention to rare diseases important to you?

Jilly replied 1 year ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jilly

February 26, 2023 at 8:37 pm

Hiya Ed.

I am sure there are more people with MS than we think. So, not so rare.

MS has so many different symptoms, it’s hard to even diagnose.

<span class=”ILfuVd NA6bn” lang=”en”><span class=”hgKElc”>World Multiple Sclerosis Day – <b>May 30, 2023</b>.</span></span>

Jilly PPMS

• Jacqueline

March 20, 2023 at 8:34 am

Depends on how we view the figures…” there are approximately 7.673 billion people in the world. Of those around 2.8 million have been diagnosed with MS ( sounds a lot. ) Based on that data less than 1% of the population has MS ”  ( doesn’t sound a lot )

• Jilly

April 2, 2023 at 2:42 am

That’s a lot for my understanding. But I feel like I am the only one who has it.

• robbie2499

July 31, 2023 at 11:39 am

I don’t know about rare but I do know it’s concentrated more in my area (Western New York) from what I’ve read. I know so many who suffer from MS so in my small world, it’s common.

• Jacqueline

July 31, 2023 at 11:40 am

Hi Jilly, wonder how many have the Primary Progressive form, seeing’s that it is one of the rarer with only 10% – 15% of people supposedly having it..and  yes i happen to be one of them…