Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Going public with your MS

• Going public with your MS

Posted by ed-tobias on January 23, 2019 at 4:24 pm

My column yesterday, about Selma Blair’s use of Instagram to announce her MS diagnosis and then journal her experiences, has generated a lot of comments. I don’t think that any of you are a movie star with more than 800,000 followers. (If you are, please let me know)! Even so, what do you think about how Blair is being open about her life with MS?

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/2019/01/22/selma-blair/

MODY replied 5 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 23, 2019 at 6:22 pm

Who is Selma Blair….anyway.  I have 5 friends on instagram and they are family and they know I have MS and don’t care much so everyday I feel sorry for myself.  It sucks to be sick.  I can understand now, how others feel when they where/are sick, especially my mother who died of cancer the same age I am now, 56.  she never complained.  I moan all the time when I feel the pain, but when I am sitting I am ok.  I hate being sick with a passion.  Why would I choose this for myself, I don’t know the answer to that question yet.

Generally I have found people care but they can’t do anything to help you so they just go about their business as usual, while I am stuck here, rethinking my life day after day and not coming up with much.  I literally feel left behind and forgotten about.  All I have are my two older sisters and I bearly hear from them, status quo.  My sisters have grown children, never hear from them and I have to start the conversation all the time.  That is starting to bore me and I feel sad about that because it makes me feel like I will totally go underground, silent.  All my life I have made the first move and when I stop, everything stops.  I just wish I could come up with a great idea to help my mental state and my life as it is now. but I am too busy feeling sorry for myself lol.  Oh ya gotta laugh.  It sucks to be sick.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 23, 2019 at 6:46 pm

And one more thing I feel sorry about is I have no hubby and no children.  It’s a pretty dull and boring life without them and scary.  I’ve been alone most of my adult life, even in relationships I have been alone.  Sucks to be sick.

• Debi Wilson

January 23, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Selma Blair is an actress, I didn’t know who she was either I had to look her up. Lol It seems a lot of people know her though from all of the comments Ed’s column has received!

What would you like to do, Jilly?  What would your dream job be for the situation you’re in right now ?  You are very artistic and talented have you thought of trying to sell your work on Etsy ?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      January 24, 2019 at 4:23 pm

It’s ok Debi, I am just venting with my honesty, something alot of people can’t do.  I am happy I can do it here.  I am not perfect yet I am perfect if that makes any sense.  All is as it should be even if I don’t properly understand it.

• Jacqueline

January 24, 2019 at 2:36 am

Jilly…

…believe you me I understand your predicament…I maybe living with someone ( a man ) but I too feel very alone, and alone dealing with this illness of PPMS….This just proves you can have someone in your life yet still feel very much alone…the reason I say this is because he is a uncaring, cold and callous person in my opinion, but I am aware my life would – could be a whole lot worse without him in it…

Jilly you sound like me, a very strong person who has gotten you through this tough life so far, we are doing something right, aren’t we? and believe you me my life has been tough in the past but I am still here, so far, so good…

Oh, I have gone off topic…who is Selma Blair?…and if she goes public, that is her choice…

Jackie…

• Jacqueline

January 24, 2019 at 2:44 am

Jilly…

…one thing I forgot to say to you…re, you have no husband, I dont either although twice engaged but never married…My late father often had a saying that many times he said to me….” never say never girl…” In other words it is never too late…I too still live in hope…

Jackie…

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 24, 2019 at 4:20 pm

smiling, never say never.  I hear that too, thanks Jackie.

• MODY

January 25, 2019 at 1:12 am

Ed

its very good to tell others she has MS. I hid this matter about 5 years then I found out it was wrong.

In the past my friends & relatives were hardly asking where am I? and I can’t be exist in every occasion!!.

After announcing my disease everybody realized how much I suffer and kept silence.

Regards.