Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Mobility Aids Help Design a Mobility Scooter for Those with Multiple Sclerosis

• Help Design a Mobility Scooter for Those with Multiple Sclerosis

Posted by MS News Today Moderator on August 31, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Do you use an electric mobility scooter to get around? You can help design the “perfect” scooter by taking a short survey in this week’s MS Wire column. Submit your feedback here.

Do you use a mobility scooter? What are the things about it that you love, and what would you change?

Mike Purcell replied 5 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • aliciahelfan

October 2, 2018 at 12:26 am

Thanks but now a days all the medical equipment are very advanced so there is no need to modify your mobility scooter.

• ed-tobias

October 2, 2018 at 8:11 am

Hi Alicia,

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, there are some very good scooters and electric wheelchairs available. But I’ve used a scooter for about 15 years and I know that no scooter is perfect. My recent MS Wire column was about a couple who is trying to design that perfect scooter, and they’re asking for input from scooter users. It’ll be very interesting to see what they come up with.

Ed

• Kim Pedersen

February 13, 2020 at 8:11 pm

I use a scooter that gets taken apart in 5 pieces. The biggest problem is the heaviness of the pieces. Also, the battery usually only lasts around 1-2 years. Other than that I love my scooter. I would be a prisoner in my own home if it wasn’t for my GoGo Elite travel scooter.

• ed-tobias

February 13, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Kim,

I have a Go-Go, which I use around the neighborhood, but I use a TravelScoot everywhere else. It’s not as comfortable, but it weighs only 35 pounds including the battery. The battery is lithium-ion, which goes a long distance and lasts a lot longer than those traditional batteries on all of the Pride scooters. I’ve had two for more than six or seven years and neither shows any signs of reduced power. The scooter folds up like a baby stroller. I’ve traveled with it to a dozen or so countries and it’s been on boats and trains and planes. It’s even made it through the ruins of Ephesus, Turkey. It’s only available on-line. You might want to look into it.

Ed

• shorty

November 21, 2020 at 7:52 pm

G’day Alicia, There are very few examples of any technology that can’t be improved on, particularly when all the users have differing requirements. They haven’t made the perfect car yet….

• Mike Purcell

November 25, 2023 at 2:51 pm

I have much experience with this subject. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.