Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Treating MS Alternative Treatments Physical therapy builds muscle around my damaged nerves, have you tried it?

• Physical therapy builds muscle around my damaged nerves, have you tried it?

Posted by debi-wilson on July 27, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Physical therapy is helping me to strengthen the muscles around my damaged nerves.

When I have a fall, it is usually due to one of my weak knees giving out. My physical therapist is teaching me simple, yet effective, exercises that are helping to strengthen those muscles.

What about you have you tried physical therapy for your MS? Do you feel it is helping?

jacqueline replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • debi-wilson

August 3, 2018 at 5:04 pm

Thanks for sharing Brad! I have heard that Tai Chi and Qigong are both great!

• jacqueline

August 4, 2018 at 12:44 am

A good ten years before MS I attended weekly Tai – Chi – Chuan classes,  both Indoors and outdoors under a large tree, which I really did love and enjoyed very much but, I would not feel the same if taking up Tai – Chi now due to my MS body…I know it would jut depress me the fact that I remember how gracefully good I once moved compared to how I would move my body now, Tai – Chi, for me would not be the same any more…Maybe I would just want to remember those good days as it once was, and leave those good and happy times way in my past, where they belong but…on a positive note for others who maybe have never tried Tai – Chi, yes it would surely help with our illness, same as Yoga and Pilates…of which, once again I once done, they too I shall leave well into my past, along with my then good ad happy memories of ” what once was..”

Jackie…

• jacqueline

August 4, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Thank you Brad for your suggestion but… I was with what I consider to be the best…the school of Tai Chi Chuan, St Albans UK with Joop Brouwer…They were my good days, and I think for me it would make sense to leave it in the past…my good and happier memories…this was a period I loved and will cherish that I done this when I did, with no thought of what was to be in the near future…I say grab it while you can, as no one knows what will be waiting for them…

I still very much remain spiritually minded….I am sure something else will come into my mind that will be right for me at this time in my life as I remain on travelling through it….

Jackie..

• debi-wilson

August 5, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Here is an article I had written last year, it includes information on Tai Chi and Qigong. I remember practicing Qigong for awhile, and then stopping. Now that you reminded me about it Brad, I will start the chair Qigong again, thanks!

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/2017/03/27/serenity-now-relaxation-techniques-ms-part-two/

• jacqueline

August 6, 2018 at 1:18 am

Tai – Chi is about grounding, balance, and posture, and gracefulness…I agree, if it helps with balance and posture it will be worth it…of course a downside is, this wont be done gracefully…each movement needs to flow gracefully from one to the next…