Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jilly
      Participant

Sometimes I just want to walk and get up and go, without having to think about each move I make so I don’t fall over. As I sit here I plan to multi task before I get up, can’t do it on the fly. In my mind I think how did this happen to me? The only time I am comfy is in bed. Every morning when I wake up…I say to myself, “not this again, another day of aimless existence”. My mind wants to move faster than my body, it took about 3 years for my mind to adjust to my slowness, and I hate how slow I am now. Sometimes I wonder how did I get so slow? is it real? am I making it up?

Like I mentioned. I just want to walk because I remember being able to walk. But that is never going to happen again with PPMS.

John Connor
      Keymaster

Hi Jilly,

I lost the ability to walk a few years ago. Also my days of using a manual wheelchair just skedaddled. So obvs. did my budding career – NOT! – in wheelchair tennis.

The upside is a powered wheelchair – no falling worries and at top speed it’s as fast as an Olympic walker. Though, a tad unnerving.

Cheers John

Jilly
      Participant

Hiya John, thanks for chiming in.

I wonder at what point do I move to a wheelchair. I don’t know how bad it has to get. I suppose if I am dragging my leg is an indicator.

I can’t see myself playing wheelchair tennis, I have trouble just leaving the house. I’d rather be dead than live like this, it’s very pedestrian and predictable.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Jilly.
      John Connor
      Keymaster

Hi Jilly

It sounds like it’s time for u going wheelie mobile.

How r u’re arms? My right one became near useless so I could no longer use a manual chair. However fatigue sets in with any distance. I couldn’t go anywhere on my own as even slight inclines proved impossible.

I’ve also had to adapt the drive and front door [all now wheelchair friendly] so can venture out on easily.

It was attending an outdoor music festival in 2012 that made us all realize I needed a chair. Had to beg for one from the organizers as they had no transport for the disabled. Sheesh.

Hope this helps. Please let me know how u get on.

Ed Tobias
      Keymaster

Hi Jilly,

Have you considered an electric scooter, rather than a chair? I got one more than 10 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It allowed me to continue working full-time much longer than I would have been able to without it and I use a lightweight one that can be folded to travel all over the world.

Stop suffering. Try your best to get some wheels and get out of the house!

Ed

Jilly
      Participant

Thanks guys. I just don’t know how bad you have to get, but I am very slow moving with my walker. I have one good leg, but even that doesn’t seem to help, my arms are good.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account