Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Welcome Lounge To Contrast or Not to Contrast?

• To Contrast or Not to Contrast?

Posted by worriedbuthopeful on February 12, 2021 at 8:49 am

Hi all – I’m in the waiting stage of trying to determine if I have MS. I’ve had quite a few symptoms that seem remarkably MS-like. I have an upcoming c-spine MRI (this Monday!) and my new neuro wants to only look at my spine since I had a brain MRI one year ago with no abnormalities. I’ve had contrast twice in the past 1.5 years for various things and I’m concerned about having contrast again based on my research of contrast retention, accumulation, and toxicity. When I shared my concern with the neuro she said “great question!” and then told me to follow up with the radiologists directly. I don’t want to hinder my chances at diagnosis if I refuse contrast but I also don’t think the risk of contrast is given enough attention and I want to consider long-term implications. Am I being foolish? Any thoughts on whether or not this may still be diagnosable without contrast and/or if I should just bite the bullet? Thanks for your time and thoughts.

ed-tobias replied 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • john-connor

Administrator
    February 12, 2021 at 11:04 am

To be honest I’ve never worried about it! If u do turn out to have MS the DMT’s [Disease Modifying Therapies u’ll be offered are far worse!!

As u know u can find all kinds of ‘evidence’ on the net but pls only accept peer reviewed scientific papers in your studies.

Cheers John

• ed-tobias

February 13, 2021 at 9:01 am

There’s been a lot of discussion about using gadolinium with MRIs. The Consortium of MS Centers recommends that it be used “judiciously.” Their guidelines say it’s important in diagnosis and monitoring MS progression because it makes it easier to spot areas of inflammation in the brain by “lighting” them up. Some of these areas might not be seen without using the contrast material.
    In people with normal kidney function 90 percent of the gadolinium is removed from the body in 24 hours.

I’ve lived with MS since 1980 and have had dozens of MRIs, all with contrast. Here’s something I wrote a couple of years ago, after the FDA put out its safety statement about gadolinium. I hope it helps you. https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/2018/01/12/multiple-sclerosis-concerns-about-gadolinium-mri-dye/

I also need to temper what my friend, and co-moderator, John has said about disease-modifying therapies being “far worse.” Please don’t let this comment scare you away from what might be a very valuable treatment that could slow, or even stop, your MS progression, should that wind up being your diagnosis. All medications, for all illnesses, have some side effects. Some are more serious than others, but it’s a matter of judging the benefit versus the reward. That’s a discussion for you and your neurologist, if that time comes.

Ed