Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Treating MS MS Medications Treat MS Symptoms or Find a Cure?

• Treat MS Symptoms or Find a Cure?

Posted by ed-tobias on June 12, 2020 at 2:59 pm

Here’s information about a company that just raised several million dollars in continued financing of its attempt to find a way to repair damaged mylen. So, here’s a question for you: What’s more important – creating medications to treat MS symptoms, restore lost function or a way to cure the disease?

Dave Wright replied 10 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Paul J Mello

August 18, 2020 at 1:55 pm

Find a cure

• tim

February 1, 2021 at 9:00 am

I believe the important work will be prevention, it will render treating symptoms, or finding a cure moot. Prevention will allow us to “move on”, forever mentioning MS in the past tense.

• ed-tobias

February 2, 2021 at 8:48 pm

Tim,

I’m not sure you can “prevent” MS the way you’d receive a vaccination to prevent a virus. After all, it’s not contagious. So, how do you protect someone from it. I’m not trying to be argumentative but, as a non-scientist, I have to wonder how you could build a protective shell.

• Jacqueline

February 3, 2021 at 1:06 am

I am not sure we will ever find a cure for MS, nor prevent MS, until we-they find out what causes it in the first place…

Find out what causes MS in the first place…is it something we have done to our own body’s over the years, was it the shingles, the herpes zoster…until they know what causes something how on earth can they ever find a suitable cure…We have to find the answer to the cause…

Jackie..

• Dave Wright

June 6, 2023 at 10:45 pm

Hi Ed,
    My girlfriend of 3 years has had RRMS for close to 30 years. Her EDSS is between 3 & 5. She is doing well. No relapse for almost two years with no Rituxin infusions either. Doing well. She would like to dance again someday. A cure would ideal. The article on the research from John Hopkins on the novel treatments with nano particles in Treg cells are looking very promising in early mice trials, actually “reversing” the disease and curing some of the mice that were infected with the EAE,the MS equivalent for mice. Any thoughts on this?