Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS 9 Ways Multiple Sclerosis Affects Your Body From Head to Toe

• 9 Ways Multiple Sclerosis Affects Your Body From Head to Toe

Posted by MS News Today Moderator on January 4, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic illness that presents many different symptoms since it can affect any part of the human body.

While no two people living with MS will experience the same symptoms, according to healthline.com, there are some more common ways the condition affects the body. Click here to find out more.

How does MS affect your body? What do you find most challenging about the disease’s physical affects?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 5, 2019 at 4:47 pm

9 things.  First sign was foot drop, ankle roll, walking was difficult. Slight vertigo from time to time.  A couple of years later, need a walker to get around.  Really painful knee pain but only when I put weight on it.  Left leg holds water, puffy.  Oh and now I get no warning when I need to go to the toilet.  Now that’s not fun.

Most challenging is not being able to walk or run.  Yeah, that’s the most challenging.

And sometimes I get scared of the future and how bad this will get for me.  I don’t know at this point in time where I will be living this time next year.  But I try not to dwell on that and stay in the moment.

Jilly

ps, thank god for the edit button lol.

• Debi Wilson

January 7, 2019 at 9:30 am

Hi Jilly!

MS can be scary,  I try not to think about the future and the worst case scenario’s. I like to think that a discovery for MS could be right around the corner. We may wake up one day and there will be a cure for MS

• Jacqueline

January 7, 2019 at 1:18 pm

Most challenging, most disheartening., most discouraging is that MS is going to be here with me every day for the rest of my life, from the minute I get up to the minute I go to bed…If this Illness-disease was ever to leave me I promise to never ever take my walking – body nor life for granted ever again…

• Debi Wilson

January 7, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Me either Jackie, never again!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 7, 2019 at 2:47 pm

YES, I hear you Jackie. I agree, never take your legs for granted, but how where we supposed to know that? We always want what we can’t have.  And getting MS is a classic example of that for sure.

• Jeanine Thiede

January 7, 2019 at 4:42 pm

I hear ya Jackie! I am wondering if anyone is having issues with this..  I have lost my gag reaction, I use to gag very easy. I can’t brush my teeth with a normal tooth brush anymore, electric. I hate it. another question, I have been having issues with swallow reaction. I take my pills, water in my mouth and it just sits there. I keep telling my self, ok, swallow and nothing. I have learned to take smaller amounts at a time. I choke on my water, coffee and food. The swallow issue scares the heck out of me. I refuse to go on a feeding tube!!! I have an endoscopy on the 9th. They want to rule our every thing. I am sure it is MS because I have now lost ALL of my reflex in my body, even my pupils do not dilate anymore.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 8, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Hi Jeanine, I really feel for you, that must be a real struggle not being able to swallow.  Sorry you have to go through that.