• Jacqueline

May 7, 2018 at 1:31 pm

Yes I am leading towards this as I caught Shingles, ( Herpes Zoster, ) guess around four & a half years before any signs of my forthcoming MS was manifesting itself…For me, this happened over a Bank Holiday, we had a bout of heavy snow, I was attending our dogs first Agility contest, ( It never went ahead, it got abandoned ) but, we were made to hang around waiting to see if it would, I have to mention, I was my dogs trainer but not his agility handler…Well to cut a long story short, needless to say, I had no Idea at that point what the rash and itchy pain was around the right side of my waist…When I eventually got to my local GP surgery, ( It was closed over the holiday period ) so by now it had gotten over the verified three days, and I was told nothing could be done to treat it, it was too late…

I too am left wondering if my untreated Shingles set off the dormant MS laying waiting in me…

Jackie…

• Basil

June 6, 2018 at 6:05 am

I’m verry interested in the topic. Read the work of prof Michael Pender, the trials about ATA 188. Also follow the topic about hiv and ms and the effect of combivir on EBV.

Have a nice day !

• Debi Wilson

June 6, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for the information basil. What sparks your interest? I am interested in the connection because I had  mononucleosis when I was 14 and now I have PPMS.

• CL13

June 24, 2018 at 4:16 am

Quite a number of years ago I belonged to an MS site and we had lengthy discussions re mono and EB virus.  I was diagnosed w/ mono when I was 13 and then with Epstein-Barr in my early 30’s.  I was born w/ a heart defect which caused me great fatigue.  Surgery to correct at age 12 but then fatigue from mono that seemed to never leave.  EP increased that fatigue greatly.  I’ve never been able to keep a “normal” schedule to be able to work consistently, etc. because of fatigue and now with dx of MS, I again find fatigue my worst daily issue.

For me, there is definitely a connection with these virii!

Now researchers have found that an examination of MS brains, there is a significantly higher percentage of those brains carrying the EP virus than “normal” brains!

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/2018/02/26/epstein-barr-virus-multiple-sclerosis-patients-brain-cells/

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”></span>knew it lol!!!

• Debi Wilson

June 24, 2018 at 11:51 am

Yes, it seems more and more evidence of the connection keeps appearing. Does anyone else in your family have MS or did they have Mono?