Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS How do you answer the question, “How do you feel?”

• How do you answer the question, “How do you feel?”

Posted by Debi Wilson on April 4, 2019 at 10:55 am

When someone asks  you the question “How do you feel?”  How do you usually respond ?

ed-tobias replied 3 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Jacqueline

April 4, 2019 at 4:14 pm

” I’ve not been too great ” or, ” I’m so so ” ( meaning I’m average for MS ) or ” I cant explain “or ” nothing you would understand.”

• Debi Wilson

April 4, 2019 at 5:51 pm

Yes, I agree it can be difficult to explain. Yours are good answers. I just usually say pretty good, rather than trying to explain.

• Jacqueline

April 5, 2019 at 2:10 am

Not so straightforward a question to answer, if you are unsure whether a person is referring to your health, or your life in general. Ones health could be bad, yet ones life could be good, re, family life, home life, no debt worries. One could be miserable with ones health yet happy in ones home and family life. As for me, both get me down, but I know I have survived up until now, I will survive a little bit longer. My guardian angels are seeing to that.

Jackie.

• Debi Wilson

April 5, 2019 at 11:29 am

Good point, Jackie. It is hard to know what the person asking means. “How are you feeling today” is a broad question.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 6, 2019 at 6:22 pm

I really hate that question lol. I usually say ‘ok’, which really means below average. And saying ok is often a strain, and I’ll change the subject.  Surely people know that by now but apparently not.

• Debi Wilson

April 7, 2019 at 12:46 pm

I do the same Jilly,  people are just being polite and don’t understand.  I find it’s best  to not elaborate on how I’m feeling . Best just to move the conversation on . ?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 7, 2019 at 8:53 pm

Yes, that’s right Deb and others have their own problems too, we may not be aware of.

• Jacqueline

April 8, 2019 at 2:28 am

I have always said, ” no one goes through life unscathed.” Just because someone looks good on the outside doesn’t have any reflection on what is going on in the outside or inside. We only daily live in our own shoes. As the well-known idioms go, ” put yourself in someone else’s shoes, ” or ” dont judge a book by its cover.”

• Debi Wilson

April 8, 2019 at 11:30 am

Well said, Jilly and Jackie! ?

• Nicholas Brown

December 26, 2020 at 1:24 pm

I always say “fine” with a big grin – mostly because I am . If I’m not then I wouldn’t want to burden anyone or give them concern. There’s nothing they can do about it. I live a solo life so there’s really no option other than being “fine” It’s reflex after all these years.

I do have to remember not to do that when I’m with my MS consultant and team, however 🙂 So often I breeze in with “fine” and then have to check myself and say “er, well actually….”

• John Connor

Administrator
    January 4, 2021 at 3:01 pm

I usually say,  ‘Well, I have got MS!’. x

• ed-tobias

January 5, 2021 at 10:15 am

When I’m fine, “I’m fine.” (Let’s get on with it). Sometimes I use another truth: “I’m slow but I usually get where I’m going.” (But, look…I’m riding a scooter).

Ed