Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and MS MS and Coronavirus RNA vaccines

• ed-tobias

January 13, 2021 at 8:24 pm

The U.S. National MS Society has just updated its COVID vaccine recommendations. For both the Pfizer and the Moderna vaccine they say it’s unlikely either will cause a relapse or worsen symptoms. The vaccines might cause a fever, which may temporarily exacerbate some MS symptoms, but symptoms should ease when the fever is reduced.

Ed

• Claire Terlon

January 15, 2021 at 9:36 am

Thank you so much for your encouraging response CT

• Jacqueline

January 17, 2021 at 2:38 am

I will be booked an MRI scan, told will take place in a couple of months time when our UK Pandemic Virus calms – slows down, they are currently at their highest at January 2021…My question now is if i am to have gadolinium injected into my arm March – april, what dangers might i face as and when i get called up possibly late March – April for one of our three Covid vaccines, not knowing which of our three i will be given as we cant choose…Do we know if tests were done as to the safety of Gadolinium still floating around inside our bodies mixed with any of our varying three covid vaccines we have going here in UK…I have Primary progressive MS, i am soon to be age 70, diagnosed at age 64…

Jackie

• ed-tobias

January 18, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Hi Jackie,

I haven’t seen any info regarding gadolinium and the COVID vaccine. If you can’t get an answer from your MS nurse or doctor you might want to try asking it on the UK MS Society’s website.

Ed

• Jacqueline

January 17, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Question, do we know the safety of a mixture of Gadolinium with either Oxford AstraZeneca – Pfizer BioNTech – Moderna, these are the three now being rolled out here in UK…When the time comes for my vaccination which should be around the same time i will be booked for my MRI scan, i will not know which of the three i will be having, we dont get to choose….Do we know what if any tests have been done on these mixtures inside our bodies…

Jackie

• Jacqueline

January 18, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Ed…i dont have an MS nurse but i did get a telephone booked call with my new Neurology Clinician but of all the things i had written down to talk to him about my deteriorating illness, the important questions were not on my mind nor did he mention anything concerning my question, guess he was not aware that i will be called up near the same date he will be booking my MRI scan, and of course i have no idea how to get to speak to him as he is attached to a few private hospitals, and this was done as a booked telephone only appointment where i had to wait several weeks for my turn…If we never had this Covid it would have been a face to face consultation…

• Jacqueline

April 26, 2021 at 2:30 am

Going for my second corona virus vaccination this morning, the Oxford AstraZenica, same as my first…leaving in one hours time UK…

• ed-tobias

April 26, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Good for you, Jackie. It’s now been two months since Moderna shot #2 for my wife and me and it’s been smooth sailing. I hope the same for you.

Ed

• Sue Levien

October 14, 2021 at 9:26 am

I have had  MS for 20 years, started suddenly could not walk, after a year of rehab. got my walking back, but fatigue issues continued. About 5 years ago I went from two walking sticks to a walker.I could only walk 50 metres using a walker. Mentally I was fine, UNTIL 7th. April 2021 when I  received my first COVID-19 vaccine  – Astra Zeneca.. 8 weeks later began a downhill spiral – my Neurologist cannot determine if the COVID vaccine was a trigger, BUT I have been stable with my MS condition for years. I am 66 years old.

Early June 2021 I got- slurred speech, blurred vision, dizzy, loss of taste, I was admitted to hospital for a 3 day course of steroids.
    On July 20th. 2021 second COVID-19 vaccine – now loss of appetite, not thinking normal ,confusion, back to hospital and found a duodenal ulcer which was treated then a week of rehab. In hospital. August –  still dizzy, slurred speech, vague, no taste, falls asleep watching tv, all symptoms continue, becoming weak difficult getting dressed and cannot walk without a nurse assisting.
    9th September to hospital by ambulance, cannot stand up, not eating etc.diagnosed with UTI infection another course of antibiotics for 10 days.
    Today still in rehab,hospital and seriously worse – very confused, can only walk a few steps with 2 nurses and large walking frame, need help to get to bathroom, cannot write, talk nonsense ,do not read nor watch tv, do nothing all day but sit in a chair. Ct scans, mri’s show no more lesions.
    Surely it’s more than a coincidence that my severe decline this year has only occurred since receiving the two COVID vaccines.
    Of course my  Neurologist cannot confirm or not whether the vaccines have affected me, surely there are others out there with MS to have had adverse reactions ?

• John Connor

Administrator
    October 14, 2021 at 12:10 pm

Hi Sue,

No vaccine can be 100% safe but the Covid ones seem to be remarkably so from the reports in the news of record. Especially as 6.59 billion have been estimated to have been given worldwide.

We humans r exceedingly good at conflating two things as cause and effect when there actually maybe no link. Hence the damage done & still happening by the spurious link between MMR & Autism.

It did have an effect on one of my comorbidities. A severe Trigeminal Neuralgia attack. But loads of people do have bad temporary experiences. Better, however than the real thing!

MS does suddenly erupt into sometimes catastrophic relapses when u’re still RRMS. Now I’m SPMS it’s a quieter, slower deflation!

Cheers John

• Jilly

October 21, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Hiya, after my second Pfizer jab, the next day on reflection my PPMS symptoms got worse. My affected left foot and leg felt numb and heavy, much harder to walk with my walker. Thankfully it lasted only a day and a half, and a really sore fat arm for 4 days. Very strange experience.  I feel like I got a glimpse into my future with MS, or not. I phoned Health Line and they sent my list of symptoms to the head officials and my doctor. But yay, double jabbed now.

• ed-tobias

October 22, 2021 at 12:31 pm

I agree with you John. Well said.

• ed-tobias

October 23, 2021 at 10:50 am

Hi Jilly,

Your reaction to your second shot wasn’t a surprise to me. It’s common for these vaccines to produce a slight fever for a couple of days. Of course, you know that heat or a fever can cause a symptom flare. When the fever ends the symptoms also ease. It sound to me like that’s what happened to you. I’m glad you’re double-jabbed. I hope the vaccine protects you and others. (My wife and I are planning on Moderna shot #3 in a few days.)

Ed

• Jilly

October 23, 2021 at 6:40 pm

Hiya Ed.

Well it’s been nearly one year no covid in the south island but just yesterday someone flew from Rotorua to Blenheim with covid being the first person in the south island with delta, we are pissed off.  Why don’t people stay off planes and stay home.  Soon delta will be everywhere. People can’t be trusted!

• ed-tobias

November 4, 2021 at 7:37 pm

Jilly,

Put another way, too many people don’t think about the needs of other people. BTW, my wife and I got our boosters a few days ago. Minimal side-effects.

• John Connor

Administrator
    November 8, 2021 at 6:54 am

Had my COVID-19 booster a few weeks ago – bit lethargic, but that was it.
    The flu shot a week later completely wiped me out!