Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Night Sweats – Are you Kidding me??

Tagged: 

• Night Sweats – Are you Kidding me??

Posted by micki on June 17, 2019 at 10:14 am

The past few weeks I’ve been uncomfortably warm at night and even getting a “southern blush”.     Then suddenly I’m getting full blown night sweats.    I’m 74 and left that stuff behind a long time ago.

Last night I woke up drenched from head to toe.   Dogs were moving away, I was throwing covers back and my husband is saying not nice words.     So – because, these days, I’m suspicious of anything strange I googled MS Night Sweats.    It was there!!!   I cannot believe that this is a problem.   Twice in one lifetime and this time has no foreseeable end?

Is anyone else having this problem?    And, can we use the same thing we used for menopause?    Is it connected with hormones?    I’m guessing not.

Any suggestions – I’ll take one and all.    Now going to strip bed and change sheets.

ed-tobias replied 1 year, 7 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • doris-parlette

February 15, 2020 at 3:35 pm

Yes, it has started to happen to me, too. Thought it was hormonal so cut back on progesterone, which helped Fr a while, but then the night sweats started again. It did not occur to me that it might be related to MS. Not sure what to do about it. Thanks for raising the subject, Micki!

Doris

• lorraine-greco

February 7, 2021 at 9:30 am

I get very warm at nighttime also.   I don’t have it as bad as you do Micki but it so annoying.  When I go  I bed, I start getting hot and have to kick off my blankets.  I feel like I should put the overhead fan on but then decide against it,knowing my husband wouldn’t like it.  We keep our bedroom at 64 degrees.  I would think that would help.   by the time I am ready to go to sleep, I am ready to go back under the covers for the rest of the night.  When this happens, my head and neck feel very hot and sweaty.  Just another part of having MS but don’t have to like it.  I never took anything for sweats during menopause.

• HParks

August 1, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Hi Micki!

You’ll have to excuse the slowness of my reply. However, I’ve had the same problems with night sweats for the last couple of years. I’ve had problems with flushing from my Tecfidera and so I’ve always told people that I’m going through “the change”. Never mind that I’m a male (at least the last time I checked). I’ve started sleeping on a huge bath towel every night so the sheets aren’t completely soaked! My wife, God bless her, put some sheets and pillow cases that will prevent everything from getting soaked down so we don’t have to change the sheets every two days.

I’ve never heard of this being an symptom of MS, but nothing surprises me anymore.

Praying for both of us,

Howard

• ed-tobias

August 4, 2022 at 12:40 pm

MS certainly is a strange illness, Howard. For most of my 42 years living with MS I’ve had just the opposite…I hardly sweat at all!
    https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/news-posts/2019/06/03/my-ms-is-no-sweat-is-yours-too/

Ed

• HParks

August 6, 2022 at 12:10 am

Thanks for the reply, Ed! I wouldn’t mind switching to the “no sweating” for awhile. I’ve been trying to do some research on the cause of the “excessive” or “non sweating” phenomenon. Does it have to do with lesion location, or is it just the course of the disease. Why? I’m going to keep diving into this and will let everyone know what I find out, from a reputable source.

Thanks again!

• HParks

August 6, 2022 at 12:19 am

I’m sorry Ed. I just read the attached link you sent referring to your “no-sweat” situation. Very interesting what you posted!

• ed-tobias

August 8, 2022 at 10:06 am

Let us know what you’re research turns up…but don’t work up a sweat over it!

Ed