Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Over 50% of MS Patients Report Urinary Problems in Italian Study

• shorty

June 10, 2021 at 9:21 pm

You certainly do need to do your homework John. When I was in hospital being nuked, radiation therapy, a doctor arrogantly, without informing me let alone discussing it, changed my prescription from Mirabegron to Oxybutynin. I had been using this previously but found I couldn’t tolerate it so we had a verbal altercation in the 4 bed ward which was embarrassing for the doctor.

• John Connor

Administrator
      June 11, 2021 at 10:56 am

Good for you mate. I did a similar thing recently when about to go home from hospital and the doctor refused to remove an indwelling catheter. I had a whole ward, nurses & 2 ambulancemen [suppressing snickers] over my threat to do a lie down strike. It was an away win. x

• Jilly

June 14, 2021 at 6:31 pm

I have PPMS and use Oxybutynin for about 3 years. They work really good, but for how long as I have had to up it to two a day. They also helped number two’s as well, takes the sense of urgency away, giving me time to get to the bathroom. Yay to that!

• Stephen Kent

July 30, 2021 at 6:15 pm

I’ve had problems with urinary and BM. I’m in an assisted living nursing home. Today out of the blue they decided I’m physically able to give myself a bed bath(not true). They say if I can operate a wheelchair I must be fine. It took me 3 Years to be strong enough to with help stand up with my walker an slowly back up an get helped into my wheelchair. The said they saw me brush my teeth. I can feed my self. I must be well! So wrong, so sad. I need help and welcome it. Today my life was turned upside-down. Oh well.

• Jilly

July 30, 2021 at 7:17 pm

Hi Stephen, sounds like a rough day.  You need a support person, like a family member or close friend to bat for you.  How dare they treat you like that.  It’s pure ignorance.

• ed-tobias

August 9, 2021 at 4:12 pm

Hi Stephen,

I’m really sorry that happened to you. Do you have a regular physician or neurologist who sees you? If so, I’d suggest mentioning it to the doc and seeing if he or she can go to bat for you.

Ed

• John Connor

Administrator
    August 2, 2021 at 12:58 pm

Hi Stephen,
    I echo Jilly’s answer.
    Just looked up your profile & see that u’re in the US. Don’t know enough about your health infrastructure as a Limey! But here would reach out to the UK MS Society et al for help/advice.
    Also u must be a paying client – there must be a complaints procedure?
    If u r on your own [no family support perhaps] it must be hard to make a stink. But I was always a fighter in my own way – in my case political correctness in comedy in the 80’s. Not the extreme case u have now BTW!
    I found that this all came in v. handy to fight the innumerable battles that being severely ill get thrown at u. U’d think society would make it easy on us but it’s always the most vulnerable that often get short shrift.
    There must also be a medical authority complaints procedure.
    Of course if it’s like ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest’ ignore all that. Just hope u’ve got a huge native American friend to sort it!
    Best John

• Randy B Tripp

August 20, 2021 at 10:45 pm

I had severe incontinence problems to the point I couldn’t hold my urine hardly at all. My neurologist asked me if I would be interested in receiving a Botox injection into my bladder. I told him I would try anything. To make a long story short when asked if the procedure works my reply is “it gave me my life back”. Don’t get me wrong I still have other MS problems but Urinary Incontinence isn’t one of them anymore. The injection was done in an operating room and I was asleep during the whole procedure. The results were supposed to last about 6 months, but I had my procedure done 9 months ago and I still have control with leakage from my bladder.

• ed-tobias

August 22, 2021 at 8:59 pm

Hi Randy,

I’m very glad you posted this because I’ve been considering this procedure. Was this same-day surgery? How quickly did it work? Do you need to self-cath and, if so, how difficult is that.

Thanks,

Ed