Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Mobility Aids Shower Chairs in a bathtub

• Shower Chairs in a bathtub

Posted by Deleted User on November 24, 2018 at 10:01 am

Does anyone have issues with getting in and out of a shower that has a bathtub to get in and out of well my wife and I recently had to move because of finances so we moved in with our oldest son, we held off moving because his two-story house did not have a walk in shower and I knew from experience that I could not step over a tub with my left leg without or even with grab handles unless I was sitting down in a chair now the chair I was using at our house we brought with us hoping it would work okay but oh know his tub was not wide enough so when I went to take a shower using that chair that the legs did not fit in, well I guess after showering it started sliding and bending oh know I was thinking to myself it is going down and if I move I will be stuck and when I fall down in here we will need to call 911 because my wife cannot lift my 300 pound behind out of here and I cannot get up  myself, so guess what happens and naked as a j-bird oh yeah I fell so call 911 babe. I bought a new sturdier chair and hopefully, it will not collapse on me it is a whole lot cheaper than putting in a walk in shower, which I did find out medicare/medicaid does pay for but good luck finding someone to install it.

ed-tobias replied 5 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • debi-wilson

November 24, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Hi Steven, I understand about having trouble in the shower, I actually wrote an article on it .  I also have a shower chair and there is  a transfer shower chair that  may be a good option as well.  I recommend checking with your state disability services department and seeing if they have any programs available that may help you with an  accessibility remodel.

• ed-tobias

November 24, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Absolutely, Steven.

A least one grab bar, preferably two, is a must. Occasionally I’ll windup at a relative’s house with only a tub and no bar and it’s a difficult and delicate task for me to get in and out. I use one cane and anything else I can grab onto.

I recently cancelled a reservation I made at what looked like a wonderful bed and breakfast because of a likely bath tub problem.

Ed

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 25, 2018 at 8:03 am

I did check with medicaid and medicare and they gave me some numbers to call and they said they do not have anything like that or who to call about installing a walk in shower. Now I did find a contractor who said he would put one in for me and paying with medicare/medicaid so I got a prescription from my nero and the man came and took pics and the script about a month or two ago, I have called him and left messages several times since and he has not called me back.

• ed-tobias

November 26, 2018 at 9:53 am

Steven,

Contractors can be horrible about returning calls and completing projects. Have you tried phoning the chapter of the National MS Society that covers your state and asking them if they know of a contractor who can do what you need? You can find their number via the NMSS website: http://www.nmss.org.

Ed

• debi-wilson

November 25, 2018 at 11:08 am

That would be great if a contractor took your insurance, Steven!  I’m going to check into that for myself!  I hope the contractor contacts you soon!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 27, 2018 at 8:10 am

okay I had to go and get a readout on my c-pap for my doc at my medical supply store and my wife went in for me and came back out with what I was thinking would work better than a chair and that would be this bench seat that fits across the bathtub so it would be easier for a person to grab and pull up each leg in and out of the tub at least it is for me and so far it is working great.

• ed-tobias

November 27, 2018 at 9:07 am

Steven,

Good news about the chair and good for your wife for spotting it. Would you please try to send me a private message with a picture of the chair so that I can post it in this discussion? (I don’t think anyone other than a moderator post pictures).

Thanks,

Ed

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    November 28, 2018 at 8:57 am

I am sorry Ed but I could not figure out how to send pics through the private message but I did find both my chair and my bench seat through the google search Bathtub Seat, White

• ed-tobias

November 28, 2018 at 9:31 am

I’m glad you found a way to post a picture yourself, Steve. Thanks.

Ed