Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS What is the first thing you would do if you were free from MS?

• What is the first thing you would do if you were free from MS?

Posted by Debi Wilson on November 29, 2018 at 1:18 pm

What Is the first thing you would do if you were free of MS?  I would run around my house and scream with joy!! What would you do?

Jacqueline replied 4 years, 2 months ago 9 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Cynthia King

December 6, 2018 at 7:32 am

My daughter asked me this question and I told her if I had one day free from ms I would go ice skating and then dancing. Not that I was ever very good at either, but I think I would fly around with reckless abandon, and skate away from all these people in my life who’s lack of confidence in my abilities has left me more timid and cautious than I like. As far as the dancing, just turn it up LOUD!

• Debi Wilson

December 6, 2018 at 10:06 am

That sounds wonderful, Cynthia! ?

• ed-tobias

December 6, 2018 at 1:57 pm

I’d sleep through the night!

• Jacqueline

December 6, 2018 at 4:19 pm

Get another dog or two and walk, walk, walk with them…

• Debi Wilson

December 6, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Ed and Jackie, Both ideas sound great!

• Carla Epps

December 7, 2018 at 7:13 pm

I’d go hiking with my kids!

• Debi Wilson

December 7, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Perfect idea,  Carla!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 7, 2018 at 10:36 pm

I would walk, run and climb a tree, get a job, earn some money and feel productive.  But that’s not going to happen. However, if my knee operation is a success and I have no pain, I would like to think I would take a part time sit down job. Never had a sit down job before, kinda have to now.  All my other jobs have been phyiscal.  I am pretty good on computers, once I know what’s required of me, I can work miracles.

• Ann M

December 29, 2018 at 5:12 pm

I’d take a walk around the neighborhood and take in the sights and fresh air, but when it gets warmer, I’d go to the beach and just walk along the shoreline.  Would love to get back onto a beach.

• Debi Wilson

December 30, 2018 at 2:04 pm

All good  things, Jilly!

Ann, I too missed the beach. I wrote an article last May about a beach wheelchair that allowed me access. Check it out

• Jacqueline

January 2, 2019 at 11:27 am

I was again asking myself this same question this morning….only putting the question as ” if I was granted one wish, what would it be…”

I was pondering over the answer of which one of two would I choose,…

1) as my life is now but take away my PPMS so I can get out there and walk another dog or two as I once used to to do..

or…

2) put back the clock ( years ) to before MS, when I lived at my last address and still had my three darling beloved fur babies, only this time I would not waste any number of days with them…

Then after some tough deliberating I then came to my final answer of…

put back the years and relive my life in my then healthy body with my darling three dogs, where I would vow to make the most of every day and opportunity that I missed or neglected with them when I had them, even if it meant I would still have to face those dreaded days of having to say goodbye to them over again, now that was the main reason I was deliberating on my answer, I couldn’t put myself through that again, the saddest periods of my life..

Have to admit this would be a tough one as my first instinct and answer was to get rid of my MS so I can get on with the rest of my life…of course I would love to be offered the two wishes…of course neither will ever be a reality..

Jackie..

• Jacqueline

January 2, 2019 at 12:31 pm

Just want to add…I was sitting on the sofa looking at the dogs three ashes boxes and photos on the sideboard when I was making my choice…have to admit they would have loved it where I now live, no roads, no traffic, just hills and valleys…and so would I love it it I didn’t have this d***n MS..As I posted above, I would get outside and walk, walk, walk…

• Debi Wilson

January 2, 2019 at 12:40 pm

I am so sorry for all of your loss, Jackie. I can feel your pain through your writing, and the deep thought that went into your decision. It made me consider my own life and what I would do.

As much as I would like to see my husband again, and redo a lot in my life, I wouldn’t go back. I would stay where I am, and rid myself of MS.  I do believe I will see my husband again someday and that you will see your beloved dogs, as well. So that gives me comfort.

Thank-you Jackie for posting such thought provoking questions!

• Jacqueline

January 2, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Debi..yes, I have told the person ( man ) I live with that whatever happens I want my ashes laid to rest back home, somewhere near trees and birds and the three dogs ashes to be scattered with me…

As I said, this is a tough one, as the more I think of this question, the more I am leading to whats in the past must now stay in the past…it is the future now that we must concentrate on, and that means I may change my mind and go with the logical option…my chosen wish of making my PPMS disappear for ever so i can get on wit living…eve though living now would be empty without my three babies, my dogs were my life…

But of course we know the thought of being granted any wishes would remain as just a pipe dream…

• Debi Wilson

January 2, 2019 at 12:49 pm

Sounds perfect, Jackie!

Yes a dream, it’s good to dream and imagine! Most of all to have great memories is the best!

• Jacqueline

January 2, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Debi…let us all with MS make 2019 a year to remember, and all for the right reasons…let us keep positive to our future and savour every good minute, hour, week, month….As we know only too well, life can change in a blink of an eyelid, as it once did for us…One minute we were healthy, the next we were told those devastating words of…” sorry to have to tell you but you have MS …”

• Debi Wilson

January 2, 2019 at 1:01 pm

So true, Jackie!!  I’m with you, 2019 will be a great year!!

• Jacqueline

January 2, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Debi…there is no reasons why it cant be, I believe their is still better things to come…hold onto those thoughts, dreams and images…

• Amy Sadri

February 13, 2019 at 10:32 am

Travel to Australia and visit my daughter & son-in-law.

• Debi Wilson

February 13, 2019 at 12:24 pm

That sounds wonderful Amy!

• Jacqueline

February 13, 2019 at 3:32 pm

Not the first thing I would do but today got me thinking….I now go to a weekly seniors  afternoon bingo..only been a member three weeks but I am noticing one by one from our table of six they are taking it in turns at our half way break on going up to order and bring back the tray of six cups of teas and biscuits..Now there was a time I would have been one of the first to offer to do my share, but I will have to sit this one out as our rollator’s are moved to make way for people to walk through the gangways, and I already struggle enough getting up and manoeuvring myself out to the corridor visiting the loo, I need both hands to steady myself on everyone’s table as I pass by, then both hands as I hand walk the wall corridor, so carrying a tray full of six cups of tea is a definite no, no…We dont realise just how much MS has taken away from us, all the simple things we took for granted that we cant do anymore…MS just makes one feel so useless…

• RP

February 13, 2020 at 5:55 pm

I would go walking with my wife from sun up until sun down. How nice that would be

• ed-tobias

February 13, 2020 at 9:03 pm

RJ

That’s a nice thought. I think I’d just simply run. I do that in my dreams, sometimes. It would really feel good to do it again for the first time in many, many years

Ed

• Jacqueline

February 14, 2020 at 9:52 am

My answer has now changed, my circumstances have changed since I lost my partner suddenly to a heart blockage…I now would thank God for hearing my prayer and answering to it in taking my PP-MS away from me…then i will concentrate on the rest of my life whatever that may be…hopefully i will have some form of actually wanting to be LIVING again…and not wishing i could be with my partner of 20 years age 74 when he died 11th April 2019…