Rise in MS and Autoimmune Disease Linked to Processed Foods

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail
processed foods

In a new study, researchers found that additives common to processed foods can damage the tight junctions that protect the intestinal mucosa, and which are essential to the intestinal tolerance and immunity balance that works to prevent autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis (MS). The article, titled “Changes in intestinal tight junction permeability associated with industrial food additives explain the rising incidence of autoimmune disease,” was published in the journal Autoimmunity Reviews.

Worldwide, but especially in the West, the incidence of autoimmune disease is increasing, a trend accompanied by the development of the processed food and food additives industries. This steady rise in autoimmunity is also seen in MS, a debilitating disease whose cause is still not fully known, but is suspected to be an interaction of genetic, immunologic and environmental factors.

“In recent decades there has been a decrease in incidence of infectious diseases, but at the same time there has been an increase in the incidence of allergic diseases, cancer and autoimmune diseases,” Professor Aaron Lerner, from the Technion Faculty of Medicine and Carmel Medical Center, Haifa, Israel, and a study lead author, said in a press release. “Since the weight of genetic changes is insignificant in such a short period, the scientific community is searching for the causes at the environmental level.”

Recent research has focused on the role of the intestinal epithelial barrier in maintaining the equilibrium of the immune system response to non-self and self-antigens. The permeability of this barrier is controlled by intracellular tight junctions, a complex network of proteins that regulates trafficking of macromolecules between the environment and the host, and that protects the intestine against colonization by foreign microorganisms. Tight junctions play a crucial role in the equilibrium and balance of the immune response — and tight junction dysfunction leads to a barrier more permeable to bacteria, toxins, allergens, and carcinogens. Tight junction dysfunction is the subject of several research studies, especially in regard to autoimmune disease, where it has been found to be commonly present.

Researchers investigated the correlation between autoimmunity and industrial food additives, used in processed foods to improve such things as taste, smell, texture, and shelf life. They found that the additives glucose (sugars), sodium (salt), fat solvents (emulsifiers), organic acids, gluten, microbial enzyme transglutaminase, and nanometric particles all weakened tight junctions, leading to a more permeable intestinal mucosa, a key factor in autoimmunity. With all the information gathered on this subject, researchers recommend that autoimmune disease patients, and their family members, avoid processed foods as much as possible.

“Control and enforcement agencies such as the FDA stringently supervise the pharmaceutical industry, but the food additive market remains unsupervised enough. We hope this study and similar studies increase awareness about the dangers inherent in industrial food additives, and raise awareness about the need for control over them,” Professor Lerner concluded.

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

1. Shasha says:

Gluten/hidden gluten/dairy/soy/sugar/GMO/corn/heated oils/flax/saturated/monounsaturated fat/dehydrated food and more hurt me. Any food with a label/certified gluten free/nuts not sold in the shell/meat basting/some spices may have hidden gluten. GMO corn/canola oil etc may also hurt. GMO corn/gluten/antibiotics/Lyme may hurt the gut lining so less nutrients absorb..then cells are not made right to work right to burn oxygen. My MS is due to low oxygen my my brain which kills the cells and then white blood cells go in to clean up the debris and make a scar which slows electricity flow. Eating organic/good water/sunlight/exercise…no chemicals or premade food or food with a label etc may help. Cooking your own food may help. A Chinese restaurant cooks special for me…blanched veg/rice/tea extra mushrooms. LDN may help block gluten contamination and help 99% of MS people, but it is a low dose..can’t block out too much gluten.

• Rod says:

You are exactly on point with all these processed foods and convenient fun snacks all contain things not healthy for our bodies. What is LDN??

• Shasha says:

LDN (Low dose Naltrexone) helps block hidden gluten and helps heal the intestines so nutrients absorb..then cells are made right to work right in the brain and body. LDN is a low dose so trying to eat 100% no gluten is needed also so a person doesn’t override the medicine with their food. Hidden gluten is in nuts not sold in the shell/meat basting/some spices/lotions/make up/air/restaurants/cutting boards/ovens/certified gluten free may have 20ppm of gluten and supplement may have 23% contaminated with gluten. Hidden gluten can be many places so it is hard to avoid. There are even more places than I mentioned. LDN is about $1. It blocks the opioid receptor sites that gluten stimulate so they won’t go down and lower the immune system. This helps heal the gut lining and helps my liver/adrenals/eyes/ears/brain/all cells benefit. 3-4.5mg of LDN is taken usually before bed. The opioid receptors kick in between 2-4am. It is stronger when taken before bed than in the morning. It lasts 18 hours. Drinking more water with it may help. LDN may help stop the destruction of the thyroid/gut lining/brain/body. The Celiac diet..no gluten/hidden gluten/dairy/soy/sugar/GMO…taking vitamins/goodo oils/minerals…probiotic…LDN..detoxing may help. LDN helps Celiac people’s health issues. Tests may not work to diagnose Celiac. LDN is like a miracle. I can feel like I am dying and it gets me back to normal. Without it I get worse daily. It helps Lyme which can be caught due to the immune system being down due to Celiac. LDN is usually from an Alternative doctor and compounding pharmacy. Calling a health food store and asking for the name of an Alternative doctor may help. You can call a compounding pharmacy and ask what doctor gives LDN. LDN is awesome..may help most people since it is hard to avoid all hidden gluten. LDN doesn’t help GMO issues, but gluten hurting the gut linilng. Gluten may hurt most people, but few realize it and get help.

2. Marianne Watts says:

I am so glad there could be an answer for gut problems with MS, I have had endless test to no avail. I won’t go out as much and its had a big impact on my life.

3. Christine says:

No Evidence that Diet Will Protect You From Developing Multiple Sclerosis

As a person with MS who has eaten a low fat, low salt, low added sugar, vegetarian, 95% planted based diet I find this study questionable and condescending. It hints that one is responsible for developing this disease. Blaming the victim mentality. Granted I am no fan of processed foods but I have avoided processed foods as much as possible my whole life and it didn’t help me from getting this disease.

It seems to be the popular trend for “scientists” to do studies on diets and then concluded that every disease is a result of what people eat. I feel that a reputable scientist should dig a little deeper into the more complex concepts instead of going for these simple, trendy ideas.

• Shasha says:

Celiac may cause MS…which is due to low sunlight heritage. Celiac causes autoimmune issues. Mitochondria on MS people may also be hurt. Antibiotics may hurt mitochondria/gut lining and lower the immune system. People eating gluten/hidden gluten may have a lower immune system which allows infections. Any food with a label/certified gluten free/nuts not sold in the shell/meat basting/some spices/lotions etc may have hidden gluten. Processed food may have hidden gluten/dairy/soy/sugar/GMO. Eating pure foods may help MS. LDN may help 99% of MS people. It helps heal the gut lining from hidden gluten and helps the immune system work right.

I don’t like studies on obvious things since to me it is just a way to use up research money. The answer to MS is already here in Alternative medicine..no research is needed. MS people may heal fast with Celiac help. Corn/heated oils/flax/saturate/monounsaturated fat/dehydrated food hurts me. Each person is different, but can see what helps/hurts them, but gluten was hard to figure out since it was hidding in most foods with a label. GMO food may hurt. Eating organic may help. Anything that raises oxygen in my brain helps my MS. NO gluten helps heal my intestines and helps rebuild my cells as I absorb more nutrients, then cells are made right to work right to burn oxygen. Unclogging my blood vessels/removing heavy metals which may block chemical reactions with EDTA/DMPS IV chelations helps my MS. Gluten may make antibodies to the thyroid. Many MS people may not get thyroid medicine due to a strange TSH due to gluten also hurting the pituitary. Thyroid medicine may help raise oxygen and make mitochondria work better. Exercise/lower swelling due to less sugar helps raise oxygen. Mg may help 350 chemical reaction and Zinc may help 50 chemical reactions…no gluten may help more minerals absorb. Fish oil may help the immune system and and brain/body/cells. Vit A may help heal the blood brain barrier/gut lining etc. I did not absorb nutrients when hidden gluten hurt my intestines. 5000mcg of biotin and MTHF folate helps circulation in my toes/brain/body. Iron and Vit B12 methylcobalamin shot may help raise oxygen and the Vit B12 may help remyelinate the brain. I need many supplements to be ok.

To me most MS people are Celiac and may heal fast with Celiac help….no gluten/dairy/soy/sugar/GMO…vitamins/good oils/minerals/probiotic…LDN…detoxing. Regular tests may not work to diagnose Celiac or biospies. Cyrex labs may recently help. Best wishes.

• Tabitha Tombow says:

Over processed food is just one of the main components, pollution, smoking, drinking all can play a part. Those vegans could be drinkers and smokers. Or as a child may not have been that way. Once you damage your immune system you should build it back up. I have MS my doctor said you ate yourself sick now eat yourself healthy. I was like yeah right, so I tried it for a few weeks. The tremors stopped, headaches stopped, brain fog, dizziness, pain, and fatigue gone. It’s been 2 years and I’m thankfully for my doctors advise. There is something to this like anything some people may need other things but until you find the cause of ms and really study it it’ll be hard to cure also it is hard to diagnose the symptoms asre spastic and ever changing so first you have to be rightfully diagnosed, then find the cause, then find a solution. So far this actually worked for me and from what i hear many others as well. No one should dismiss something helpful to most especially with a low risk.

4. Shasha says:

Any food with a label may have hidden gluten which may hurt the blood brain barrier and gut lining. Also when I was low in Vit A I could not soak air into my lungs and my blood brain barrier/gut lining/eyes/kidneys got hurt. All I needed was 10,000IU of Vit A, but hidden gluten may not let food/vitamins/good oils/nutrients etc absorb well until the gut lining heals again. It took me 1 1/2 months for my intestines to heal after getting gluten contamination and then finally after taking tomato soup did it start to work again. Any food in box/bag/label may have gluten/dairy/soy/sugar/GMO/chemicals which may hurt people and bad fats/heated oils. Eating pure organic food/good water/exercise/sunlight/nature/pets etc may help people heal. Exercise may help make more neurons/mitochondria. MS people may heal fast with the Celiac diet/vitamins/good oils/minerals…probiotic..LDN..detoxing…Zn/Mg/fish oil/Vit C,Vit D3 etc..

• Judy Ward says:

Sasha: I’m confused, you do all of these things to help your MS. Exactly what benefits are you seeing related specifically to your disease? I also have MS, progressive phase. I’m looking to hear from people who found something that worked to improve their MS, not just overall health. Dr. Terry Wahls used diet to improve from wheelchair bound secondary progressive to now riding a bike miles at a time. What I never hear about her case is anyone else who has followed her protocol and had such amazing results.