India’s Advancells Reports Successful Reversal of MS in Single Patient Using Stem Cell Therapy

Advancells says its stem cell-based therapy completely reversed multiple sclerosis (MS) in an Indian pilot trial with only one MS patient.

The patient, Rahul Gupta, was diagnosed with MS seven years ago and has since suffered multiple relapses. His disease was progressing fast and he was quickly losing his ability to walk. Gupta, who lives in New Zealand, approached Advancells — a company based in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh that specializes in the use of stem cells for therapeutic purposes.

“After my last relapse, I became determined to look for alternative treatments for multiple sclerosis,” Gupta said in a press release. “I started looking on the net and found that stem-cell therapy [offers] hope for people suffering with MS [and] that it is safe and would not harm me in any way. I was determined to undergo stem-cell treatment, as my illness was progressing very quickly.”

Gupta enrolled in Advancells’ adult stem-cell therapy program as the trial’s single patient. In the procedure — carried out in June at a New Delhi clinic — doctors isolated stem cells from his bone marrow and re-infused them back into the patient at specific points. Apart from this procedure, Gupta underwent only physiotherapy and a dietary routine.

“Straight after the treatment I saw major improvements,” he said. “I could walk a lot better, could climb stairs — which I was unable to do after 2012 — and even go on the treadmill.”

Dr. Lipi Singh, head of technology at Advancells, said the company is frequently approached by MS patients from around the world who want to participate in its program.

“Patient selection is a key criterion for us and Rahul suited the criteria perfectly,” Singh said. “He is young and still at a moderate level of the disease and in a very positive frame of mind. Patients at this stage are best suited for this kind of treatment and thus we decided to accept him as a pilot case.”

Singh now expects to review Gupta’s response sometime this fall.

“It will take approximately three months for us to review changes in the magnetic resonance imaging of the patient, but the drastic changes in symptoms clearly are an indication of the fact that the treatment is working and could become a hope for millions of patients across the world who are suffering from this disease.” Singh said.

He added: “This is a good start to a lengthy research phase, but it seems that we are on the right track and hopefully we will be able to make a significant contribution in eradicating not only MS but a host of untreatable diseases existing today.”

1. Paul Castro says:

This sounds like the same approach the Tisch multiple sclerosis Center of New York has been doing for quite some time now.

2. Paul Brinkley says:

Stem cell therapy can work but only with chemo therapy and has risks so I don’t believe this to be good or worthwhile but there are hospitals in India as well as other countries including Russia that do offer the right treatment as one of your own reporters well knows

• Donna says:

I had Stem Cell treatment in Russia two years ago and have seen great improvements in my MS symptoms since the treatment. I had the treatment twelve years after diagnosis, although I had some MS symptoms many years earlier than my formal diagnosis. So even after having MS for a fairly long period of time, the treatment can still work. My MRI’s subsequent to treatment have shown that there has been no progression of the disease at all. I now do not use any medication (had been using Betaferon prior to treatment). Unfortunate that the treatment is not offered in Australia as yet – I suspect that protecting the interests of pharmaceutical companies by governments etc has a bit to do with that!!

3. ROSS TINSLEY says:

have just completed chemotherapy and stem cell therapy so now have a completely new immune system, I feel totally wiped out but its early days so fingers crossed

4. Bryce says:

The news is stem cells work and the MS Society and government entities need to stop trying to protect the drug companies bottom line and help people.

5. Joan Quilter says:

My daughter had this procedure done in Germany some years ago; nothing changed in her MS. Perhaps, she was too disabled, when she had the procedure.

• harideep shetty says:

Apparently there have been numerous cases treated in Panama, infact, even autism has been successfully treated. recently Mel Gibson treated his father there, this not vote of approval, but it doesnt hurt, while gauging credibility.

6. maryam vajedi says:

I’m 44years old and suffer from MS for 28 years ,at now I can walking but with difficulties. I have treated by interferons , then fingolimode and recently with rituximab every 6 month.
    I’ interested in to Know more about it and want to be a part of this pilot procedure.
    I’ll be glad if you informed me.

7. Shirley says:

I thought Ocrevus was the new wonder MS drug. After 3 months good results were suppose to happen. It’s been 3 months for me & I still haven’t felt any improvements. Feels like my walking is getting worse, I’m feeling extremely tired. Big let down about the infusion!

8. I would love to be a part of this. I have known about it for quite some time but my neurologist is against it I guess I should take a leap of faith and try it anyway. At this stage I can only gain. Please help satisfy my curiosity.