Large Multiple Sclerosis Product Update To Be Presented By Biogen
Biogen Idec, one of the first true biotech companies specializing in products indicated for neurodegenerative diseases, hematologic conditions, and autoimmune disorders, is preparing to present over 90 poster presentations during this week’s 6th Joint ACTRIMS-ECTRIMS Meeting. The event is scheduled to take place from Wednesday, September 10th through Saturday the 13th in Boston, and will be this year’s summit for everything related to multiple sclerosis (MS) research.
The company’s executive vice president of Research and Development, Douglas E. Williams, Ph.D., noted in a company press release that the volume and depth of their presentations for this international event only exemplifies the company’s commitment to discovering and advancing better solutions to this debilitating autoimmune disorder.
Some of the highlights of Biogen Idec’s presentations include updates on ZINBRYTA™ [daclizumab high-yield process (DAC HYP)] and Anti-LINGO-1 (BIIB033) clinical trials, as well as new information on their line of approved medications:
- TECFIDERA® [delayed-release dimethyl fumarate (DMF; also known as gastro-resistant DMF)]
- TYSABRI® (natalizumab)
- FAMPYRA® (prolonged-release fampridine tablets)
- PLEGRIDY™ (peginterferon beta-1a)
Aside from technical updates on their flagship formulations for MS, the company will also be sharing some of the progress their initiatives have been making towards meeting the rapidly-growing needs of MS patients, including updates from the Value-Based Medicine (VBM) group, and relevant excerpts from a worldwide patient-physician survey on the general “State of MS”. On September 10, at 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. EST, the latter topic will have a journalist and advocacy group briefing which will tackle today’s patient-physician relationship and quality of communication.
Those interested in Biogen Idec’s schedule of presentations may refer to the list below. For the complete schedule of all presentations for the ACTRIMS-ECTRIMS Meeting, visit http://www.msboston2014.org/.
Earlier this year, Swiss pharmaceutical giant Novartis teamed up with medical device specialist company Owen Mumford in the development of a new injective drug delivery system for the subcutaneous administration of drugs (e.g.: interferon beta-1b) in patients with Multiple Sclerosis (MS), known as the ExtaviPro® 30G auto-injector.
EMERGING APPROACHES TO MS MANAGEMENT
- Consensus Opinion of U.S. Neurologists on Practice Patterns in Radiologically and Clinically Isolated Syndrome and Relapsing-Remitting MS – Poster #295 – Thursday, September 11, 2014 – 3:30-5:00 PM
- The State of MS: Current Insight Into Patient-Neurologist Relationships, Barriers to Communication, and Treatment Satisfaction – Poster P824 – Friday, September 12, 2014 – 2:45-4:15 PM
- Value Based Medicine: Enabling Evidence-Based and Individualized Treatment Decisions for Patients With Multiple Sclerosis – Poster P825 – Friday, September 12, 2014 – 2:45-4:15 PM
- Five-Year Follow-up of Delayed-Release Dimethyl Fumarate in RRMS: Integrated Clinical Efficacy Data from the DEFINE, CONFIRM, and ENDORSE Studies – Poster P110 – Thursday, September 11, 2014 – 3:30-5:30 PM
- Long-term Follow-up of the Effect of Delayed-Release Dimethyl Fumarate on No Evident Disease Activity in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis – Platform FC3.5 – Friday, September 12, 2014 – 9:03 AM
- Correlations Between Patient-reported Ambulatory Function (MSWS-12) and Objective Disability Measurements in SPMS: Analysis of ASCEND Baseline Data – Poster P777 – Friday, September 12 – 2:45 – 4:15 PM
- Effect of Peginterferon Beta-1a on MRI Measures and Freedom From Measured Disease Activity: 2-year Results From the Phase 3 ADVANCE Study – Poster P067 – Thursday, September 11, 2014 – 3:30-5:00 PM
- Clinical Efficacy of Peginterferon Beta-1a in Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis: 2-year Data From the Phase 3 ADVANCE Study – Platform FC2.5– Friday, September 12, 2014 – 9:03 AM
- Psychometric Testing of the Early Mobility Impairment Questionnaire for Multiple Sclerosis – Poster P784 – Friday, September 12, 2014 – 2:45-4:15 PM
- Walking Ability and Balance in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis Treated with Prolonged-Release Fampridine: Randomized, Double-Blind MOBILE Study – Poster P922 – Friday, September 12, 2014 – 2:45-4:15 PM
- Safety and Tolerability of Daclizumab HYP Treatment in Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis: Results of the DECIDE Study – Poster P094 – Thursday, September 11, 2014 – 3:30-5:30 PM
- Primary Results of DECIDE: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Double-Dummy, Active-Controlled Trial of Daclizumab HYP vs. Interferon Β-1a in RRMS Patients – Platform FC1.1 – Friday, September 12, 2014 – 8:15 AM
A Phase II Study of the Anti-LINGO-1 Monoclonal Antibody, BIIB033, in Subjects With Acute Optic Neuritis: Baseline Data – Poster P731 – Friday, September 12, 2014 – 2:45-4:15 PM