Common Allergy Treatment Restores Protective Neuron Coating in MS, Trial Suggests

Scientists have been trying to find a way to restore a protective covering around nerve cells whose loss leads to the neuron damage associated with multiple sclerosis.

A team at the University of California, San Francisco may have found a way to do it. And perhaps surprisingly, the possible solution is an over-the-counter allergy drug.

A Phase 2 clinical trial showed that the antihistamine clemastine fumarate helped people with a chronically damaged optic nerve. The therapy led to faster firing of patients’ vision neurons, according to a report in the journal The Lancet. It also slightly improved how well the patients could distinguish contrast.

While the effect was modest, researchers said the study proved that rejuvenation of the protective of the protective neuron coating — the protein myelin — can occur in those with even chronic nerve-cell damage. The findings are a starting point for the development of more effective treatments, they said.

“To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time a therapy has been able to reverse deficits caused by MS,” Dr. Ari Green, principal investigator of the trial, said in a press release. “It’s not a cure, but it’s a first step towards restoring brain function to the millions who are affected by this chronic, debilitating disease.”

The research team focused on vision damage In the Phase 2 ReBUILD trial (NCT02040298) for a simple reason: Vision is commonly affected in MS, and there are reliable ways to measure the speed of neurons in the brain that are linked to vision.

Their study was titled “Clemastine fumarate as a remyelinating therapy for multiple sclerosis (ReBUILD): a randomized, controlled, double-blind, crossover trial.”

1. Deborah Elam says:

this actually makes me angry because they pulled Tavist (clemastine) off of the shelves. My guess is that this common OTC allergy medication will no longer be readily available… and that is horribly wrong!!!

2. charles says:

the only thing that concerns me about getting on high dose clemastine is the anticholinergic effect. i already have some small difficulty from urinary retention. it’s not serious, but if i take a bunch of clemastine, i may not be able to void my bladder at all. if it were compounded with another drug to counter that effect, then i would be less worried about it. i suppose that one could resort to a catheter…

• bakebr says:

Clemastine is an antihistamine used to control itching in dogs, cats and other pets with atopy or other allergies. Common side effects include sedation and dry mouth. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences diarrhea, rapid heart rate, or inability to urinate while being treated with clemastine.

3. Megan says:

It probably isn’t the “answer” because it is off patton. Also, the sife effects are sleepiness, compare that to PML, cancers, liver damage, heart problems and site reactions.
    Also you can order it, stores just don’t carry it anymore.

4. Jumpy says:

Clemastine Is still available in some Generic named brands. Walmart can order it for you if they don’t stock the right one or doesage in the store. My son was using it for about 6 months over a year ago and has not had a relapse or hot spot show up on his MRI Since.
    I had found articles of this used on mice over 3 years ago. Glad there are some non profit motivated researchers looking at this. LDN is also helpful and Microbiotics are also proving to be a possible source of immune system problems/diseases.

• Ruth says:

I have been taking Low dose Naltrexone since 2002. I came upon the link and my doctor called Dr. Bahri in New York. The reason I took it was I had such bad fatigue. I started at 3mg HCL Naltrexone to be taken after 9 PM and 1 AM. After one month and at a dose of 4.5mg fatigue was gone. There is a book titled The Promise of Low Dose Naltrexone Therapy. Studies are being done with Naltrexone in Cancer, Autoimmune, Neurological and Infectious Disorders. My Neurologist started to prescribe Naltrexone to his other patients. I was lucky to have an open minded specialist. I have given the book to other people I know with MS which they showed to the doctors. Sorry to say Big Pharma won. Just wish they were strong enough to see my specialist. It could have helped them. The only other drug I take is Baclofen for muscle spasms. I have been very lucky. God Bless.

• Mary Carls says:

I have a sensitive liver. How does LDN affect the liver? I can’t take any of the MS medicine out there because of my liver. Avonex just about destroyed my liver. Also Baclofen made me sleepy couldn’t take it at work. But I found that CBD oil works great for spasticity and no side effects!

• MsBS says:

I started LDN at 4.5mg. My neuro wasn’t supportive and only prescribes with DMT. I can say last MRI no active lesions and no disease progression. My thyroid dosage has decreased 4x. Has never been this low in 44yrs!!
        Type 1 diabetes 47yrs and very brittle, but now my glucose is more even and hit the target more often.

5. Jack O'Hearn says:

D you know why was it pulled off the shelves? I have significant vision problems related to M.S. and I would have liked to see what my neurologist thought about me trying this over-the-counter treatment. I have seen a neurological ophthalmologist who said there was nothing that could be done. It sounds like this might be worth a try.

• Katie says:

The pharmacist I talked to about it (because of course I couldn’t find it on any shelves) said it had quite a few drug interactions. It is possible to order it online through places like Walmart, CVS, and Walgreens, and have it shipped to the store. They still make it, but don’t stock it on shelves.

6. Jane Morton says:

My husband has been ill for nineteen years with MS and we read these articles constantly but we have never been offered anything in terms of a modifying drug or to try a new drug. I think my husband feels very overlooked. It seems to be something we read about but they never seem to benefit real people.

7. Eric Woodard says:

Why even talk about it this was in the news in 2012 and it came an went they continue to put out false hope for people the use the word cure but also say we can’t say that I am so tired of false hope article they receive millions of dollars each year trying to find a treatment not a cure their is no profit in a cure we need to come together to create our own researchers who are working on a cure

8. Arthur Leeper says:

Clemastine Fumarate was sold out for several months, while it still was available in the UK. It can also be found in Tavist tablets, which are a smaller and more costly dosage. Clemastine is available in the US again, through Kaiser and other providers.

It does have some side-effects, but it also has quite important positive effects. In my opinion it would be worth trying, with the knowledge and support of your Neurologist. They should know what dosage you are taking; 2.68 is the standard tablet size, and people are taking one tablet, one and a half, and two tablets in a Clinical Trial at UCSF, where Clemastine was first identified as a myelin repair candidate.

Until something else comes along (and people are looking like crazy) this is the best bet. Some people can’t tolerate it, others can. It seems to vary considerably.

9. Arthur Leeper says:

My one suggestion to those who think they are being overlooked is to pay close attention to the work being done at UCSF (University of California San Francisco) Medical Center and by the Brigham and Women’s Medical Center at Harvard University. People at both locations are working hard to try to find ways to halt… an reverse… the progression of MS. A large study is working to study the gut microbiome of 2,000 people with MS, in three countries. The initial data from some smaller sample groups is quite intriguing. There are good people, working hard to stop MS in its tracks, if they can. Getting into clinical trials is a key way that those with MS can support their work.

That and getting as much exercise as possible, to keep healthy in the meantime.

10. Merlin Leine says:

Has anyone trying this clemanstine formula haď any success with it? It has been around à while,someone should have some results by now.

11. Ed says:

Clemastine Furmate is very hard to find right now, only seems to be available in allergy, anti-itch pills for dogs.

The recall of certain allergy pills was because they contained phenylpropanolamine, or PPA, it has nothing to do with clemastine.

• Jessics says:

It is available from veterinarians and it is safe for people. Also my PCP wrote me a script for it. I started taking it a week ago. I figure I’d take ANYTHING for the possibility of even small results results of any kind!!

12. DT says:

has anyone else considered the “stemcell therapies” not FDA approved but for those with Progressive MS what else is there? I feel desperate!

13. Steven J says:

There’s a cure for all of these problems,there’s no money in the cure. If they can fly tickets to the moon and back they can fix your ms, als, etc,etc.I wouldn’t worries about the side effects so much that’s the only way you can find some type of cure. What’s the side effect of flying an airplane, crashing.

14. Matt says:

I’ve had MS for 37 years, drugs aren’t going to do it! Check out/google “Pam Bartha”, She’s had MS for 28 years, jogs 5 miles a day and is helping people around the world. She has a book called “Wellness Champions”, read it. MS is an infection. After reading her book, I identified when I got it in 1979. Very interesting!