Aubagio Becomes 1st Once-daily Oral DMT for Relapsing MS Patients in India

Aubagio Becomes 1st Once-daily Oral DMT for Relapsing MS Patients in India

Aubagio (teriflunomide) has become the first once-a-day, oral disease-modifying therapy (DMT) for multiple sclerosis (MS) to be approved for use in India.

Sanofi Genzyme’s therapy is indicated for first-line treatment of relapsing MS. It should be taken each day with or without food, and patients in India will have access to Aubagio tablets at a 14 mg dose each.

“This product has the potential to offer an efficacious and convenient treatment regimen … vis-à-vis common treatment options that are injectables,” N. Rajaram, MD, Sanofi India’s managing director, said in a press release.” With Aubagio (teriflunomide, 14 mg), we reiterate Sanofi Genzyme’s commitment to improve and empower the lives of people with debilitating diseases in India.

According to the Multiple Sclerosis Society of India, more than 200,000 people are living with MS in the country.

Rajaram mentioned that greater awareness of the disease and access to better diagnostic facilities have led to an increase in MS diagnoses in India.

According to Sanofi Genzyme, Aubagio has nearly 13 years of proven clinical efficacy, safety, and tolerability data.

The medication works by blocking an enzyme called dihydroorotate dehydrogenase, which is key for the proliferation and maturation of immune T- and B-cells. Both these cells are involved in inflammatory reactions believed to induce loss of the protective myelin layer (the hallmark of MS), with subsequent damage in nerve fibers.

“When taken daily, Aubagio (teriflunomide, 14 mg) reduces the number of overactive immune cells that cause the disease flare-ups, while still allowing normal immune cell activity to occur,” said Shalini Menon, MD, Sanofi’s head of medical affairs for India & South Asia.

Menon also highlighted results from studies showing Aubagio’s consistent efficacy in “reducing relapse frequency, delaying the accumulation of physical disability and arresting further decrease in brain volume.” Also, “given its convenience as an oral medicine,” Menon added, Aubagio “encourages people with multiple sclerosis to continue with long-term treatment.”

Aubagio was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2012, and by the European Comission in 2013. The therapy is now available in more than 81 countries.

1. Sarah says:

Abuagio was terrible for me, after just a few weeks it slowly paralysed my right leg from the toes upwards. I stopped taking it after 6 weeks and my leg improved within days but is now left weaker. I wish I had never tried it.

2. Sharon says:

I’ve been on it for 4 years and it hasn’t stopped my downward progression at ALL! In fact it doesn’t appear to have helped with anything. Trying to get taken off it. 🙁

3. Stavros says:

I’m surprised for the comments above, it’s been great for me, haven’t had any relapses in the 2 years since I’ve got diagnosed and started Aubagio, and haven’t had any problems besides fatigue and occasional dizziness, I Thi k it’s a great drug but obviously not for everyone

4. Lynda Hopkins says:

Am over the moon with Aubagio. After dreadful side effects from both Avonex and Copaxone, what a pleasure. No more heart palpitations, injections and the need o dispose of needles and syringes. Furthermore, my hair that came out in chunks with copaxone leaves very little in the hairbrush now. Could have saved myself 14 years of injections.

• Deborah says:

I am so glad to hear of your experience with Aubagio, Lynda! My MS neurologist wants me to try it but I have heard nothing but negative things from people who have been on it….
      And especially stories about hair loss which never improved with time as the literature says it will.
      So you had no negative side effects? Did you have any period of hair thinning or loss and was your fatigue and dizziness a side effect of Aubagio or a preexisting part of your MS?
      Sorry to be nosy but I am so happy to hear of a positive testimonial for the drug!

• Lynda says:

Hi there,
        Can only speak for myself. I have had low blood pressure and blood sugar all my life which lead to being lightheaded. Don’t know how much has been MS related as I have had MS since 1981. Since I have been on Aubagio both have been more stable. My hair came out in brush-loads every day while I was on Avonex and Copaxone. Since my hair is long, I seemed to be losing even more. Since the advent of Aubagio, hair loss has diminished, and is in better condition. A friend commented the other day that my sinusitis has improved as well. Have more energy now and am doing a lot more. Only problem is that I overdo things and then must bare the consequences. All in all I am feeling more my old self.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.