Multiple Sclerosis News Today Forums Forums Living With MS Have you had a lumbar puncture to help diagnose your MS?

• Have you had a lumbar puncture to help diagnose your MS?

Posted by Debi Wilson on January 29, 2019 at 11:44 am

Have you ever  had a lumbar puncture to  help diagnose  your MS? If so, how did that procedure go for you?

Jacqueline replied 5 years, 2 months ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 29, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Yes I did, and I was nervous, so I asked for a chill pill, and it all went very well.  but the next day my back really hurt.

• Debi Wilson

January 29, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Sorry about the pain Jilly!  Did it  confirm your MS diagnosis?

• Jacqueline

January 30, 2019 at 8:53 am

No I was not offered a lumbar puncture, my consultant said that I was suffering anxiety so didn’t think it would be beneficial, guess he assumed I wouldn’t be able to have coped with it, and maybe not…as he said he was as sure as could be it was definitely PPMS…I have no reasons to doubt it, or to have doubted him…I have heard that a lumbar puncture is the be all to diagnosing MS, after having the MRI scan with Gadolinium Contrast that is…and of course I did have that toxic injection in my vein after my previous ( three weeks ) MRI scan without gadolinium…

I am told having the lumbar puncture is not pleasant…but then, so is having our MS, not pleasant at all…

Jackie…

• Joan Bondira

January 30, 2019 at 11:31 am

Yes, I have had two. I didn’t think either was too bad. I know it sounds horrible, and you think “you want to do what to my what?!?” but if anyone reading this is facing one, you will get through it, honest. If you’ve ever had anything like an injection in your hip or knee or neck, it’s not really much worse. And like Jilleen said, if you’re really scared, some medication to calm you could help.

• ed-tobias

January 30, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Joan,

I feel the way that you do.

Though an LP isn’t a definitive test for MS it’s regularly used, combined with other tests, as part of the McDonald Protocol for making that diagnosis.

The best advice that I was given was to remain flat on my back, moving my head as little as humanly possible for several hours following the LP, to avoid a headache. It worked!

Ed

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 30, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Joan, you made me laugh with the “you want to do what to my what” lol.  Well I googled it, its a long needle.  The chill pill was just the ticket to relax me so I didn’t move.  I recommend a chill pill.  And the doctor was  really nice and the nurse stay with me holding my hand and talked to me for support.

Debi, as far as I know the LP showed MS, which came after the MRI, of which I saw little white spots in my brain and spine.

• Haslie Kemp

February 4, 2019 at 7:04 pm

Yes in 2010 with SPMS after about 30 years of symptoms and already in a power chair because of weakness in my arms and legs and balance. So when I got the diagnosed I had already been through the worse not knowing not being on any MS modifying drugs. Now at age 79 and I am doing fine with the symptoms I am having. About once or twice a year I get three days of Solu-Medral. My doctor says I have a mild case of MS called benign MS. No problems with the spinal tap. Have only two scars in my brain and they are old. Have been told I do not have MS because the scars are not Dawson Fingers but my doctor says otherwise. Got my diagnose with the spinal tap. I am concerned about the MIRs contrast. Have had 11 since 2005.  I have some symptoms of Gadolinium toxicity.

• Debi Wilson

February 4, 2019 at 8:02 pm

That is interesting, Haslie thank-you for sharing!

I agree about Gadolinium, luckily there are other dye choices.  Talk it over with your neurologist.

• Ann M

February 4, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Yes, I had one. Nervous as heck when I had it, yet it did confirm diagnosis. Took me 2 days to recoup (I was the fool that went back to work afterwards).  I’ll never forget my spinal tap, I have a permanent scar, lump on my back, thanks to the idiot dr. (don’t see him anymore).

• ed-tobias

February 4, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Hi Haslie,

I’ve been getting MRIs with a contrast agent since gadolinium was introduced. At the rate of about one a year I’ve had a lot of that die. I’m concerned about it but the benefits of an MRI with contrast outweigh the risks for me. Here’s something I wrote a year ago on that subject.

Ed

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/2018/01/12/multiple-sclerosis-concerns-about-gadolinium-mri-dye/

• Debi Wilson

February 4, 2019 at 9:25 pm

I’m sorry  you had such a terrible experience Ann !

• Jacqueline

February 5, 2019 at 11:14 am

I have a fear-concerns over putting any chemical substances into my body…I will always do my best on keeping them out…No lumber puncture but one Gadolinium Contrast, told it could take up to a year before it gets flushed out, to drink plenty of water, that was the first thing I done once I got home, just wanted to flush it out from my system, its toxicity, it was something that shouldn’t have been there, it didn’t belong there…