Clinical Professor Holds Lecture On Using Paleo Diet To Control MS

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail
paleo diet and ms

paleo diet and msAccording to a recent article by Beth Roessner at the Desert Sun, some Multiple Sclerosis patients are beginning to utilize healthier diets and eating habits to complement conventional treatments for their disease — an approach that even some researchers are beginning to study. Erin Davis, a 40 year-old woman, was diagnosed with primary progressive multiple sclerosis two years ago after nearly a decade of struggling with the symptoms of this rare form of the degenerative disorder. In spite of the bad news, Davis was determined not to let her condition dictate her quality of life, and resorted to natural methods to keep symptoms at bay.

Davis turned to vitamin supplements, a regular exercise regimen and a grain-, bean-, and dairy-free diet, called Paleo — recommended by Dr. Terry Wahls, a a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine. Ever since Davis committed to these positive lifestyle changes, her MS symptoms have been under control for more than a year.

Dr. Wahls has made proper nutrition a focus of her research, which only recently managed to establish a relationship between multiple sclerosis and one’s diet. Dr. Wahls also has MS, and self-experimented on a positive diet modification in order to improve her condition’s prognosis. Through the Paleo diet, she is able to enjoy an active lifestyle, and pursue research that could educate and help others.

[adrotate group=”4″]

On Monday, May 19, 2014, Dr. Wahls held a lecture about her research, namely, the relationship between MS and various autoimmune conditions.

Tagged .

Anna is responsible for the scripting and production of video news content. Her skills as a registered nurse as well as a proven video content creator on YouTube and other social media platforms allow her to create video news reports that are engaging and easy to understand for patients.
Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

1. breda merity says:

found Dr. Wahls story and her scientific journey on nutrition to be amazing.

I have M.s for many years and the medical team in Dublin suggest my diet could be a positive fact, although I do eat gluten some days , 1/2 eggs per week, I eat no dairy and have not eaten meat in over 30 years.

I recently talked to the med team about diet and they say as always Diet is not a treatment protocol in m.s symptoms.
    this is confusing.

Thoughts would bwe welcomed.

2. Ford Tucker says:

I am trying the Wahls Protocol as much as I am able with IBS symptoms as well. I am receiving OT once per week and have an OT aide assisting with my exercises twice per week. I plan to add chair yoga soon.

3. Steve says:

“Dr. Wahls’ firmly believes one’s health does not depend on medications, but on preventive and proactive commitments such as proper nutrition and physical activity. MS is only one of a myriad of health conditions a good diet can improve, the others being infertility, irritable bowel syndrome, eczema, fibromyalgia and other auto-immune diseases.” Seriously, she’s a MD and does not believe medications can be of benefit in auto-immunity?

• Steve says:

I heard about this MD guy who had MS and he and his wife were having great results from having sex 3 times a week. He feels great now, so his MS must be gone too, just like Teri’s, right? Same rational and self reporting methodology with no clinical evidence for proof.

4. Steve says:

I have had RR MS for over 30 years and have researched a lot of trendy therapies: Filling replacement, Bee stings, Hyperbaric oxygen, CCSVI, Plasmapheresis and they all make money for somebody else with no benefit for the MS patient, just like Wahl’s diet. Dr Roy Swank tried the same thing 50 years ago with his MS diet. If any of these was really a break through don’t you think you would see it in the nightly news? As for my personal diet, strictly healthy non GMO foods. And if trendy Snake Oil works for you, keep on pissing your money down the toilet. I ask just do not deliberately perpetuate a known falisey, giving false hope to other patients, their families and friends. That is morally reprehensible.

I agree with you on the importance of maintaining a balanced healthy diet, I have personally experienced the benefits of a dietary / lifestyle shift first hand. However, just because I feel better from eating better does not mean it is a cure. My MRIs still say I have the same amount of MS lesions. The materials I have seen promote her diet as a cure for MS. I have great difficulty with that claim when it is founded on an unsubstantiated claim based on her self diagnosis with no before or after MRIs. Where is the proof, where is the science, where is the peer review, the evidence is all just anecdotal and that is what makes it Snake Oil and her a huckster. The National Association of Neurologists and the MS society do not endorse her ideas. To pass this unproven diet of as a cure to MS patients, family and friends is morally repugnant. And that is what I find extremely objectionable.

5. Lorraine says:

a healthy balanced diet is good for everyone but not a cure for MS! Diets having been going around for years, the article makes it sound like a new phenomenon! I certainly wouldn’t recommend anyone buying into these diet regimes. Take the advice of your MS Nurse or consultant.

6. Bill D. says:

Anyone who has actually read Dr Wahls’ book would know a) that she does not represent her diet protocol as a cure for MS; and b) she does not suggest that patients stop their medications. She is a medical professional and states clearly that medications have a role in the treatment of MS.
    I have SPMS myself and have done a fair amount of research on alternative and complementary therapies and so called cures myself and I find her work to be very well researched and based on sound science. Much more so than the Swank diet which others have compared her work to.
    The reason her theories have not attracted wide acceptance or attention in the media is because controlled research studies on diet are difficult to design and do not attract large funding from pharmaceutical companies. And the reason the funding is hard to attract is because no one gets rich from proposing diet and lifestyle changes. The large pharma firms can make a fortune from a pill, but from telling you to give up gluten and dairy, not so much.
    I would strongly recommend Dr Wahls book to anyone with MS based on the improvements I have seen in my own disease progression. I am not cured but I have seen improvements in my symptoms and a slowing in progression. Read the book and draw your own conclusions.