New Multiple Sclerosis Drug May Repair Nerve Demyelination

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

As researchers continue to develop a clearer understanding of the underlying causes of multiple sclerosis (MS), it is becoming increasingly apparent that the future of treating the disease is likely to center on neural protection and a reversal of the demyelination process that strips away the critical insulation surrounding denuded axons. To this end, there is currently a series of studies underway for a potential, new treatment option for MS that would directly address the need for protecting neurons so that remyelination may commence, thus leading to a slowing of the disease progression and improvement of symptoms.

Recent phase I clinical trials of a novel, experimental MS therapy based on the facilitating the remyelination process has thus far revealed positive safety and tolerance findings, which are now available in Neurology Neuroimmunology & Neuroinflammation‘s August 27, 2014 issue. This new journal published by the American Academy of Neurology is free to access and is exclusively available online.

According to previously completed studies involving animal models, this new multiple sclerosis drug called anti-LINGO-1, or BIIB033, has the potential to reverse nerve demyelination. LINGO-1 is described as a “human anti-Nogo receptor interacting protein-1 monoclonal antibody,” according to the study, and this subsequent series of phase I trials using LINGO-1 was the first to test the new formulation on human subjects. Because anti-LINGO-1 is designed to block a protein in the central nervous system that hinders myelination, this medication may accomplish what currently available MS treatments have yet to offer, which is to actually repair neurological damage.

RELATEDMitochondria May Play a Role in MS Development and Progression

According to the researchers, LINGO-1 is considered an emerging therapy for myelin regeneration due to the fact that it ultimately has shows to lead to “in vivo remyelination through induction of OPC differentiation and neuroprotection” in experimental immune as well as non-immune models of demyelination. Combined with a human monoclonal version of an anti-LINGO-1 antibody, which has already been developed by researchers and currently is being tested in a phase-II clinical trial as a therapy for the disease, this development, together with an increased understanding of the role that LINGO-1 plays in the myelination process, is considered by the researchers to be the impetus for a potential breakthrough, pending the outcome of current and future trials.

The published phase I clinical trial results involved 72 participants without MS, and 47 patients diagnosed with either relapsing-remitting MS, or secondary progressive MS. The researchers administered either the anti-LINGO-1 or a placebo via IV to the two groups, with the healthy group receiving one dose, and the MS group receiving two doses, two weeks apart. All of the participants from both groups were administered different concentrations of the medication, varying from 0.1 mg/kg to 100 mg/kg.

As to observable side effects of the medication, there was no significant difference between those who were on the medication and those who were on the placebo. Any observed side effects were minor and not necessarily associated with the primary indication of the drug, such as headaches, and infections of the upper respiratory and urinary tracts. There were no incidences of adverse effects or deaths, nor were there notable alterations in participants’ vital signs, EKG readings, or other safety parameters.

[adrotate group=”4″]

Those who received at least 10mg/kg of the drug retained blood concentrations comparable to those previously observed in rats that showed 90% remyelination from the drug.

The study’s author, Dr. Diego Cadavid of Cambridge, Massachusetts’ Biogen Idec, is pleased with the phase I results and has already begun work on phase II, to test if anti-LINGO-1 can restore myelination along with physical and cognitive function.

In other reports on emerging MS treatments, earlier this year, Dr. Rhonda Voskuhl of UCLA presented her findings to the American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting on the enhanced efficacy of Copaxone combined with estriol for RRMS.

Click here to receive MS news via e-mail

1. Julie conway says:

I would like to be considered a test subject for this new drug. I have rrms and was diagnosed in 1996. I’m currently taking Copaxone 40mg 3 times a week. Thank you. Julie Conway

• Dumitru Petecel says:

My son was diagnosed imaging in 2011 with SMS. initial disease started with diplopia, then hit the course and currently is in bed, immobile, can not speak, swallow, can not raise or use his hands, one standing + at as it extends and withdraws at left it can spread and shows the problems with the urinary bladder that uses the probe. It is fed by nasogastric tube for 2 years.
      Our hope, parents, is that it can more quickly find treatments that will help remyelination of neurons and regaining fitness and health held previously.
      We can hope for that? From all of the research you are in the world, you can make a judgment about when it will happen such a miracle? because at the moment we only think so.

2. Elena says:

oh my gosh, thank you, THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!!!! Do you have any idea when the drug will be on the market? This is amazing, I’m crying from happiness!

• Ursula Doyle says:

This is the best news ever where and when can a person get it prescribed for them – I am Ireland do you know when we will get to try It. I am in a lot of pain most of the time – pumping pain killers in to me just to be able to get around doing ordinary everyday stuff – on anti-seizure tablets , Heart tablets , nerve pain tablets amnitriyline (which are really anti-depressants) – Inject Rebif 44mg 3 time s a week. God above let this happen to us as it is such a horrible unpredictable.
      I do so hope this is the one to help us all with this ravaging monster of MS,

• Melinda says:

Irish Darling. Here in the World there a parasites of many sorts. I wonder that is what MS could be.
        A Myelin eating parasite? My Husband has MS too. Let’s just Pray on that GOD can explain to our Dr’s
        how to cure MS together?
        My Husband can barely walk now. He’s Australian of Irish heritage. I wonder how you can function on
        all those drugs. Hollow legs?

• Annmarie Ward says:

Hi ursula, I too am in Ireland and like yourself was taking a lot of pain medication everyday to cope along with my rebif 3x a wk. I have just started on tecfidera and have not had to take painkillers at all since! Maybe you should ask your consultant about this (especially if its rrms) as it is tablets so for me not having to inject was the biggest selling points. As with all stuff there are side effects but so far I’ve only one which I can cope with. Take care.

• Jacqueline Buchanan says:

All this information sounds good. I have RRMS and would like to know where this drug is available and how to get it?

3. Judy Epstein says:

Good article. There is successful stem cell work going on in Panama and China that has been helping improve the symptoms found in adults of all different ages. Re causes: in my (and many?) cases to my knowledge it has been 1. a chemical allergy to the solvents used to speed dry printer ink and many house paints that can lead to Multiple Sclerosis. Norway is the only country that acknowledges this chemical affect solvents can have on some people, though it hasn’t yet traveled to the neurologist world. And 2. a common airborne pathogen called Chlamydophylia pneomonia: I’m taking the homeopathic version in levels of the Weldon protocol so as to avoid a year or longer on antibiotics and keep my gut healthy. So far so good. Thanks for reading. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Be well.

• Judy says:

Dear Adrian, So sorry for the delay! I
        no longer have access to the whole list of what I was taking. So sorry. My homeopath’s name is Sean Ferris in Totnes, UK. I saw him for about two years and definitely felt the effects of what I was taking – i.e. I was uncomfortable. (Some homeopaths say you are not supposed to feel uncomfortable on homeopathics, but it’s not so simple.) Then later on a went to a man named Dr. Jacobs in Verwood, Dorset UK Dr. Jacobs gave me powerful Chinese and German homeopathics and herbal medicines. Lastly he gave me some to deal with miasms – anscestral illnesses that effect descendents which I’m still taking. I take them kowig I may feel uncomfortable and was advised to take a bit less as it would still work, but just take a bit longer. According to Dr. Jacobs’ energy equipment, I no longer had the bacteria (Clamydophlia pneumoniai (Cp)) which Sean Ferris focused on to eraticate. Cp is notoriously hard to eradicate as it hides in the body. Here’s a video about Dr. Wheldon:
        Dr. Jacobs is more expensive than Sean Ferris. Both are well worth it. Wishing you all the best!

• Joan Quilter says:

My daughter followed the Weldon protocol for 2 years, but after being tested for Cpn, there was no improvement; the antibiotics hadn’t destroyed the bacterium. Many people spend years on the antibiotics, but 2 years were enough for my daughter; it made her pretty sick, in spite of all the probiotics, etc.

4. DEB says:

5. caths Evans says:

Hi amazing thank you so much. Can I share something with you about LDN (Low Dose Nalttexone) it has changed my life and hundreds of thousands of Auto immune sufferers all around the World.
    Have you heard of LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) i will post my LDN Story
    to you so you can research for yourself…
    Hi my name is Caths and i have TMS (Tumefactive MS) a very rare form of MS that appears like a Stroke, or tumor in the Brain… TMS lesions have left four black holes the size of golf balls in my brain, from the MRI Scans and medical History i got a true Diagnosis which can be taken back to when i was 15 years old, so have had it all my life i am 59 years old now but still feel like i am 18 lol…
    I had a Stroke in 1990 which was misdiagnosed and i was ill for five years, blind for 2 months, all my left side was affected and i could talk but nobody could understand me.. Our Girls were 18 months and 8 years old at that time and now they are 32 and 25, so it was a long time ago..
    I had what we thought was another stroke in 2008 and off of work for 6 months…
    BBC online NHS stories: ‘I had a stroke’
    BBC online NHS stories ‘a stroke inspired me to be a nurse’
    Have you ever heard of LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone)?
    I made a promise to a friend, that if, LDN worked for me, I would pay it forward for as long as I am able. Well it does work for me, so i am keeping my promise and I am making others aware of LDN so that, they too have another choice, even if they have been told, like me. Nothing more can be done for you, only medicate the symptoms.
    I only wish i had known about LDN when i had been wrongly diagnosed with MS 2008, then i would not have deteriorated so badly ending up in a Wheelchair, Cognitive problems, Incontinence issues, balance, pain, gait issues, and stuttering badly.
    I still have short term memory loss but, due to LDN, I do not use the wheelchair unless i am pottering about in the garden, coming up to my 60th birthday soon, What is that about? lol. Still feel like i am 18 in my head lol.
    Any way LDN is an amazing drug i have been taking it for just over two years now, and only after the second day i felt the benefit… all my brain fog lifted and i could say whole sentences again. i am still seeing benefits and notice little changes when i least expect them… LDN is being hailed as the new wonder drug for Autoimmune Diseases.
    Don’t take my word for it, have a research yourselves on the LDN Research Site, I will pop a link in for you
    The petition is out of date as the video was taped about 3 years ago i think, but still told in an understanding way by Dr Chris Steele. TV AM Good Morning Program. Well worth a research, sorry the story gets longer every time i tell it lol.
    Please feel free to copy and paste it if you think it could inform or help anyone else, i don’t mind, even more amazing things have been happening to me since i have been taking Oral Liquid LDN for just over 3 years now.
    I feel energized and happy… the way it works is to reboot or re-balance your immune system and trigger off your endorphin’s by 3 times as much as your body usually produces whilst you are sleeping, so you have a feel good factor too.
    There have been no fatalities and there are so many stories on the LDN site of how it has benefited thousands of people all around the world…
    I have my confidence back, i am happy, and not living in the moment anymore, but looking forward to the future.
    Our first grandchild, Joshua born 31st May 2014 is 8.5 months old, so i’m a Grandma for the first time, very excited about that. He is an absolutely fabulous little fellow, and we are all so happy to have him in our lives. It is such a pleasure to concentrate on life happenings, rather than my TMS all the time, and what i can not do…
    I enjoy chatting with others and not forgetting what we are talking about, or stuttering like i did before LDN. I feel like my old self is coming to the surface which is fab…
    I still have problems, if i’m Standing for too long. and I can only walk a short way before having to sit down, but I am still mobile after 43 years with TMS, my whole attitude has changed, i don’t worry about what i cannot do and just concentrate on the positive things in my life…
    I have a lovely caring family, and i am enjoying living again..
    All thanks to LDN.. Fabulous….
    Lot of information, but i think Knowledge is Power, so Power to you..
    If you are on or thinking of trying LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) Please come and join us on the
    LDN Users Chit Chat Group any Conditions, all are welcome Just Click
    One day i will write a book, I have the title, My Body, My Prison I could tell you about all the happenings in my life, all true, but unbelievable if I listed them down here, but, one of these days i will get down to writing it. I have had many premonitions in my life, all of which have come true.
    I feel like i have found my niche in life, to make others aware of LDN often against the Doctors or Medical Practitioners advise. If you look above at the Dr Chris Steele’s video he explains it far better than me. lol…
    Anyway, sorry for the long post..
    Kind Regards
    Caths xx

• Liz Walker says:

Everyone with ms responds differently to therapies. I have had ms for 24 years have tried everything over the years. I tried LDN for 2 years. Did not work and made me feel so much worse. Tried many different doses that were suggested by dr and pharmacy but LDN was not good for me. So just be careful when trying it. Some of the effects such as fatigue and spacticity that I developed after starting LDN have not gone away and it has been three years since my last dose.

• Judy Epstein says:

Hi Liz, I’m sorry that LDN hasn’t been good for you. I’ve been giving it a try for over a year now and am still not sure if it’s good for me or not for the same reasons you mention. However I am keeping on with it as I may feel worse without it. I lowered my dosage from 3 mg to 2 mg and that seems to have eased the symptoms. But age and lack of protective hormones seem to be bringing on those symptoms.
        Be well.

• Judy Epstein says:

Hi Liz, After trying LDN for about 8-9 months and developing a some spasticity (which I didn’t have before LDN), I stopped it a few months ago and the spasticity has mostly gone away. I have spms and it’s been slowly progressing a tiny bit as I’ve gotten closer to my next birthday. Age progression feels directly connected to brain fog which I NEVER had in the 24 years I had ms before menopause. It’s all a mystery… Hope this is of some help.

• David P says:

Your LDN story sounds just like mine. I have had MS for over 30 years now. I am currently 51. 4 years ago things got so bad with me the doctors were only planning on making me as comfortable as possible for what they saw as the inevitable (death). I did my own research and came across LDN. I found a doctor to prescribe it and today I am functioning/living by myself. It isn’t easy, but I am doing it. My previous doctors referred to the LDN as nothing more than a placebo. I do understand that it (LDN) doesn’t work for all, neither does penicillin, but it made a drastic improvement in my everyday activities. The docs were giving me nothing. Currently I am looking into a remyelinating drug/treatment to further help my symptoms. I do have SPMS and the progression has slowed since the start of the LDN but I do need to rebuild/repair my myelin. Good luck too all!!! in your battle with the MonSter.

• Deirdre Doherty says:

Hi, my name is Deirdre & I live in Northern Ireland. My younger brother who is only 45, has just been diagnosed with severe & very aggressive sudden onset TMS, he’s in a very bad way at the minute & I would really love to talk to you a bit more about this. Could you please contact me at I would really appreciate it.

6. Anne Ballis says:

There are 3 of siblings w/MS and possibly my 87 yr old Mother and a cousin on her side who died from complications of MS many years ago. This article was so hopeful. Can somebody who has completed Cancer Therapy use this promising meficine?

7. Karen Sawyer says:

anti-Lingo 1 trial/med and would be willing to strictly follow all requirements.

In the many past years I have been on several meds such as Copaxone (1yr), Betaseron (7yrs), Novantrone (chemo) for a little less than a year, all with no efficacy.

My MS specialist of several years is associated with The MS Center of Atlanta. They have participated in trials but the trials never included PP patients.

If I would be considered as a candidate, please contact me directly or through my neuro, Dr. Jeffery English, MS Center of Atlanta.
    Karen Sawyer

8. Rosanna t says:

I need this anti lingo drug now. I have spms and in chronic pain 24 ,7. Have tried a lot of pain meds including a fetanyal pach. No relief. Please if I can have this so that I can have a quality of life. Now I go from a chair to a bed. That is the extend of my everyday life. I have also tried most of the ms medicine. Correctly on tysabri. Pls help

9. Judy E. says:

I am in constant pain from spms and am very eager to be a part of the anti-LINGO1 clinical trial or any kind of test using the drug. I was diagnosed with rrms around 1990 after prolonged exposure to solvents at work (as written above under my name.) I have never taken any ms drugs or any of the drugs invented in the 1990’s as I was working in Japan and they might not have been available there. It’s now 2015, am age 60 and feeling a change from rrms to spms. Other than ms I am very healthy. I would very much like to be a part of the anti-LINGO1 clinical trial. Thank you.

10. Nancy P. says:

Judy E.- I was also diagnosed in 1990 at 24yrs old. We wanted children so with no knowledge of drug effects on reproductionI didn’t start any drugs till much later. I tried them all but could only tolerate avonex. Then when Tysabri was to come out dr. had me stop Avonex (big mistake) Tysabri took 3-4 months to become available. So while I was on no MS drug I went from a cane to a scooter full time. I am SPMS now and while I can stand hold on to grab bar or counter I can’t walk but transfer and slide and do what I can to move a little.
    I have not tried LDN – I did take part in a high dose cytoxin study for ms. While in the hospital I felt the best I’d felt in 15 years, energy wise pain wise etc.. Once home I was better for 1-2 months, using rollator. Then back to wheelchair.
    Does anyone know if any treatment can lead to regaining abilities?

11. Judy Epstein says:

Hi Nancy P.- I don’t know of anything that can help regain abilities unfortunately. Here’s a very good facebook page
    There is a lot of info on LDN on Google . and Useful testimonials. And read about Biotin.- check out the newest issue (August 2015) of New Pathways; there’s a good article about it. And a good facebook page on it. So far it seems safe and is easily accessible but it’s not necessrily compatible with all MS drugs. A pharmaceutical co. (which one, I don’t know) is doing clinical trials. Check out this video by Dulcie Hill:
    Best wishes,

12. Jana says:

Sounds great. Yes I’m not that excited. I hope they get more people signed up to see how good this drug works. Again I hope it works…I’ve been so disappointed throughout the years that none of that is in phase-1 prove to be any good (or miracle drug). If it is good, it will take about 5 years to hit the market to later find out that it is not as good as they thought. Sorry, I don’t mean to be negative hold your breath.

13. shirley Floria says:

I like that fact that new things are being found out about MS. Children in the future will may not have to worry about MS. That would be nice. If I got the chance I would love to try a new drug and see if it is a cure.

14. So glad to hear of Anti-Lingo, and other wonderful new drugs and trials. Ireally would like to be considered for these trials. I have had symptoms for 15 years and was diagnosed in Dec. 2010 with RRMS. The progression (now PPMS) has happened rapidly and I have lost mobility completely. Please help me and others that deal with this debilitating disease that haunts us hourly,& constantly!!

15. Elaine Portner says:

I do not have ms, but I am the caregiver to my daughter Nancy who is 53 and was diagnosed with rrms approx 2 and a half years ago. Her neurologist at cleveland clinic started her on injections of REBIF interferon beta 1A. She has been on it all this time. Her neurologist originally started at Mayo Clinic but Cleveland clinic wanted her and she became the specialist treating only MS. Unfortunately for my daughter the dr. left and moved to tennessee after she had a baby because she wanted to be near her husband who is also a physician but he was in Tennessee. The new dr. is a neurologist in charge of the whole neurological dept at cleveland clinic, but does not specialize in only MS. On a recent MRI it showed 1 new lesion on her upper spine and he wanted to put her on tsybari as he said the interferon wasn’t working any more. She said she would think about it but after reading up on the drug we found out that it can cause a brain disease that can kill you. There is no cure for it. The statistics said that 1 in 1000 do get it and die from it—–No way will she take this medication no matter what the dr. said.We are researching other drugs right now. By the way, my oldest son is also a DR. in new york and when I mentioned tysabri , his reply was—–no way
    Just a point of info for everyone out there, Do you know that many many neurologists get paid from big Pharma when they recommend their drugs. So that means the drs will push them. There is a site that you can put in the drs name and find out if he is being paid by any drug company.Her dr is being paid for 1 and i’m willing to bet anyone that drug is tysbari Meanwhile her dr knows she will not take what he recommended and she is still on the rebif.Hasn’t seen her dr since but made an appointment for tne end of this month. Her biggest problem is her walking ability. She started with a cane and then this dr recommended a walker with a seat, which she depends on way too much. There could be alot of reasons why she has that new spot on her upper spine other than what he said about the Rebif not working any more. An operation on a colestoma in her ear, an emergency operation in May in the middle of the night for a hernia which was wrapped around her bowel and cutting off the blood supply from which could have killed her in 1 or 2 days if the hospital hadn’t found it and a whole lot of more stress that we endured—-too numerous to mention.Listen, DRS aren’t god and it’s important to be your own advocate. Oh one more thing. At the beginning with her original neurologist when she started having more difficulty the dr gave her a perscription for AMPYRA which is the only med that could help with walking difficulties Unfortunately she had a terrible reaction the very first day and was told to go off it immediately. After all this time she told the new dr about it and said she would be willing to try it again but he said absolutely not.
    She was having alot of stomach issues and I put her on a probiotic called Perfect biotics made by american biotics and it is wonderful. after less than 1 month on it——no more stomach issues . My advice to help with other problems check out some of the natural supplements. She is also taking 2000 mgs of vit D every day .also mitoQ which has made quite a difference in the amount of fatigue she gets.
    The whole problem with all these new drugs that are in clinical trials is that it takes too many years to get to the public . Meanwhile we can only hope and pray for everyone that it will not come to late for us.
    If anyone reading this would like any info about some of the things I wrote about or if you just want to talk, please don’t be shy. You can write me an e-mail at I will be more than happy to answer. My name is Elaine and my daughter and I live in the FT Lauderdale area of Florida. Just want to say Don’t give up hope and no matter how hard it is please try to stay positive. The best to you all Elaine

16. Joyce Steiner says:

I was treated with the interferons in the 80s.. they gave me lasting troubles that I am still dealing with today?.. Is there a treatment/cure that is available today that will cure MS? At least alieve me of these troubles.. I hear there is a surgery, almost available now that gets rid of the issues from MS.. it stops it from progressing.. Do you know anything about this?..

17. Martyn Dance says:

I too would like to know if this could work for flare ups from arachnoiditis. My life is manageable on good days but flare ups put me in either hospital and /or in my bed for days at a time. I have just turned 50 and my illness is progressing quickly, this could be a life changer for me in the years to come. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank ‘s in advance.

• Lisa says:

I use lemon juice and pinch of baking soda and am so much better. I take 10 000 units vitamin d a day. take one vitamin k2 to make sure it is safe.