An Ocrevus Update Has Me Cautiously Optimistic

An Ocrevus Update Has Me Cautiously Optimistic

Engaging Thoughts

After a delay in treatment in late December thanks to a nasty head cold, and the after-effects of contracting the flu in February necessitating another delay, I finally received my second six-month dose of Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) in mid-March. Much like the first time, the infusion was uneventful. I had no problems with flushing, itching, elevated temperature, or any of the other potential side effects during the infusion. I know other people have a wide range of problems, so I feel fortunate that I am among those who experience nothing unusual.

Infusion time

Once again, the worst problem I had was being stuck in the infusion suite for six hours while thinking of all the other places I wish I could be. The first round of Ocrevus requires two separate infusions, separated by two weeks’ time. These initial induction rounds are only four hours instead of the six hours needed for the full dose I’ll receive in the next round of Ocrevus. Boredom was my No. 1 complaint then as well.

Everyone wants to know: Do I feel different, or have I noticed any benefits? Honestly, again, I have to say I know I am no worse, and it takes time to turn around the course of multiple sclerosis. I don’t expect it to magically happen overnight, but there are signs that perhaps something different is going on.

Changes

I saw my neurologist the following week, and we were able to review my tests and the results from my annual MRI, done in late 2017. Thanks to an analysis by NeuroQuant software, I knew some things changed. The doctor also pointed out that the report showed a couple of changes for the good, which may or may not be from Ocrevus. The atrophy of my brain, due to both MS and aging, may be slowing or even improved. The NeuroQuant analysis compared my MRIs, which were done one year apart, and found these changes:

NeuroQuant Whole Brain: Normative percentile 33. This was previously 26.

NeuroQuant Thalamus: Normative percentile 70. This was previously 48.

The increase in the thalamus is especially of interest to the doctor and me because this is an important piece of the brain that helps process signals to the rest of the brain. These signals include critical functions such as sleep and consciousness. My neurologist views this increased thalamus size with cautious optimism, knowing it is too soon to be sure of its implications. We will continue to watch for improvement via my next MRI.

Other improvements

Interestingly, I also performed better on the nine-hole peg test and the symbol digit modalities test compared to last year’s results. These are standard tests given at each of my neurology visits. In “real life,” I will never need to put pegs in holes, but the ability of my brain to control my hands to do a small motor skill like this is something I use all the time. I also will never need to match symbols and numbers under the pressure of a timed test, but it is a good indicator of cognitive processing speed. I’m cautiously happy with both of these improvements.

It’s encouraging to think there may be improvements in my MS rather than a continuation of the downhill slide I have experienced over the years. I may not be walking faster, but Ocrevus may be quietly working on other functions like thinking and the ability to use my hands, which I value even more. While these improvements remain anecdotal, I hope to find continued improvement the next time I engage with my neurologist.

***

Note: Multiple Sclerosis News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Multiple Sclerosis News Today or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to multiple sclerosis.

1. Phil Longford says:

Hi Laura
    Is your MS relapsing remitting, or primary progressive?
    Sounds encouraging though. Seeing my consultant next month. Hopefully he will agree to the treatment!
    All the best
    Phil

• Karen Bookless says:

Good luck Rita, I am due my second dose in July and, touch wood, have had no problems so far. I am being positive and am hopeful this will halt my progression, onward & upward…

2. Lydia says:

I am curious, are you diagnosed as RRMS, SPMS, or PPMS? Also, pardon my asking… your age. I am contemplating my next move, but at 54 and non active MRI’s wonder if it will benefit me. Risk versus benefit issue.

3. Ken says:

I’m really happy to read how you’re doing and the small gains you’ve been seeing. I start Ocrevus in a few weeks and have my share of anxiety. There are so many negative people on line complaining about the whole process. They’re miserable during and after the first infusions and swear the Ocrevus did nothing for them. I am a lot more positive about how I’m going to do and your story has made it a little easier to do so

• Ann says:

My husband 54, has benefited from Ocreves, plus he was walking bad and for the 3rd time tried Ampyra, the walking drug… 3 is a charm
      He has RRMS

• Ann says:

I’ve been with my husband as the constant Advocate. He’s been fighting this horrible disease since 2007… we think he started it in 2001, with vision problems.
        He had been a 6’2″ good looking contractor when I meet him. Strong as 2 men, avid reader, muy intelligente. Praying & waiting for a cure.Meanwhile positive attitude imperitive…
        I helped immediate family thru 2 COPD, 2 Cancer, my diabetic type II now. Hang in there!
        Ocrvevus is his 5th medicine, it and Ampyra, have helped greatly… naps, R&R

• Good luck Ken. If people are having a decline due to Ocrevus, we have every right Perhaps further down the track I may see some positives but so far I have lost my job due to the cognitive decline after 16 years on Tysabri. Apparently, my disease is progressing now due to the lymphocytes being able to cross into the brain where previously they couldn’t.

4. Alicia says:

Thank you for your article. I too am on Ocrevus for PPMS, however, I have not met the one year mark yet. The one year Ocrevus anniversary will arrive this June. I too am cautiously optimistic. I have not declined in symptoms for the first time in several years. My gait has not gotten “faster”, but it has not declined either. Yes, the infusions are long and boring, but I am grateful the whole infusion time that there is a treatment for PPMS. I would sit in that infusion chair for a week if I had to!

• Stephanie Bowen says:

If you have been on Lemtrada, can you have Ocrevus? I am a little better from 2 rounds of Lemtrada for gait and balance, but nothing in shaking and coordination or cognition.

5. Joshua Kalnitsky says:

I will be seeing my MS doctor early May. I hope to try any thing to get some relive from this horrible felling.

6. Al says:

I have PPMS and had 2 rounds of Ocrevus infusions. Both times I have had more progression right after the drug. Walking, balance, tremors, spasticity, infections, etc. became worse for months until the drug started wearing off and B cells were growing again. The benefit of possibly slowing PPMS progression up to a max of 24% is not worth the risks associated with the drug. It may help some, but until a treatment that restores myelin is available (and there are several studies in the works now) we won’t heal or potentially repair our nerves. Hope is great to have, but before believing this is a cure or reversal will start, do some research. It’s not easy to do being bombarded with ads and stories of the “game changing” drug, but is well worth the time. If it helps you, wonderful, but for those that are questioning benefit versus risk, it’s worth asking.

7. Carolyn Kelley says:

Very helpful to read different peoples experience. I’ve been diagnosed since 2014 and have seen a marked decline in the last 6 months on Copaxone. We decided to make the change to Ocrevus, but I am waiting to find a facility that is in network for my insurance . A bit frustrating to say the least. I concur with Al to some degree and am hoping for myelin restoration breakthroughs as the next treatment. There’s got to be something more permanent and, preferably, natural. Until then, each day is a new reason to remain faithful.

• I am 66 and have had MS since 1986. I started Ocrevus this year. After reading all the comments, Yes,, maybe there is an improvement. I am also going to a physical therapist and I do seem to be walking better. Not much improvement with my balance however. If that would improve I could give up my walker and just use a cane.
      I am experiencing one side effect that wasn’t mentioned and that is dry mouth. Has anyone else noticed this worse than before?

8. John says:

Have a friend that is on Copaxone and had one episode of optical neuritis. He was told to forget about Copaxone and start on Ocrevus immediately. He is only 30 years old and I would rather he stay on Copaxone. What should I tell him?

9. Lexi Wilson says:

Interesting reading the comments of people who have tried Ocrevis. I have SPMS and am thinking of trying Ocrevis though have questions about side effects of the drug. I’ve heard different things about the drug that sounds scary plus I have to wait for Kaiser to approve it’s use. Thanks for your comments about Ocrevus. Spell check didn’t change it this time. Bye now

10. StarGzr says:

That news is certainly encouraging! Thanks for sharing. Your post is the first that I have come across that mentions NeuroQuant analysis. I had this analysis performed on my MRI last year, and received very disturbing results regarding my hippocampal and ventricular volumes. I am curious if these particular measurements were performed as part of your analysis?