Bloating is a common result of these issues. It’s super annoying and always happens at the worst time, such as when you’re out and about or wearing something fitted to an event. It’s important to remember that it’s common in everyone, not just in people with MS, and there may be some surprising reasons why we feel bloated.
Bloating causes the stomach or abdomen to feel swollen. It is usually harmless, and there could be a number of causes. The most common reason for bloating is excessive gas, which typically leaves the body through flatulence or burping.
After feeling bloated for a long time, I researched possible causes. I learned that dehydration can cause bloating. I never knew that. It suddenly made sense why I’ve felt so bloated during the hot weather we’ve had in the U.K. Maybe I was dehydrated.
When you’re dehydrated, you tend to get constipated, causing the body to hang on to fluids and bloat. However, when you drink plenty of water and hydrate, your body lets go of the fluid it doesn’t need, reducing your bloating.
Bloating for any amount of time probably makes you think, “Will this bloating ever go away?” There are a lot of reasons we may feel bloated. Let’s explore a few.
- Chewing gum and swallowing air. That makes sense: Swallowed air gets trapped, resulting in bloating.
- Eating too fast. Similar to chewing gum, eating quickly introduces more air, which builds up in your gastrointestinal tract.
- Eating foods that create gas in your system, such as high fiber foods, beans, and some vegetables, such as cauliflower, broccoli, kale, and Brussels sprouts.
- Some fruits can also cause bloating, such as pears, apples, apricots, and prunes.
- Food intolerances, such as to gluten or lactose, or allergies, such as to eggs.
- Drinking a lot of soda. Soda is full of carbonated air, which builds up in our gastrointestinal tract, causing our stomachs to feel swollen.
- Menstrual cycle.
- Some medications.
If you’re feeling bloated right now, could anything I just mentioned be the culprit?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?