4 Ways Ocrevus Can Improve Your Life

It’s been less than a month since Ocrevus was approved by the FDA, and the buzz hasn’t died down. Though there is some trepidation, the MS community is incredibly excited about what the new “game-changing” medication can do for patients all across the country.

Here are just a few ways that Ocrevus can improve patients’ quality of life:

It’s only administered every six months.
While many drugs are administered daily or weekly, Ocrevus is only administered twice a year after the initial dose (which is split in half and injected two weeks apart). Though the administration needs to be overseen by a health care team (meaning you have to go somewhere for treatment), at least patients will only have to worry about scheduling the doses every six months.

It can delay the progression of the disease.
Clearly, this is the big one. The MS community is so excited about Ocrevus because it’s the first drug approved for PPMS, and preliminary results showed that it can slow the progression of the disease.

MORE: Five things to know about the new MS drug Ocrevus

Related --

• Tim Bossie says:

At this moment it is not certain whether it will help with Secondary Progressive. There has been some indication that it can help, but the findings are not enough to make it available for it yet. Keep in contact with your doctor about it and stay tuned for out site for more info.

• tim says:

Uh, my uncle as secondary MS and is starting the treatment in two weeks. Please don’t listen to random people online, you have to call your doctor.

1. Caro says:

I participated in the study phase of the drug and turned out that I received the drug then called ocrelizumad and not the placebo.

I get tested for walking, doing math calculations, taking pegs with hands and have been having the same type of results.

I have PPMS and hope that this drug will compleately slow down the process of the disease. What I have lost will not be regained but I am still working 5 days a week, can manage stairs at home and use a walker for short distances at home.

For me it is a positive result!

2. Rebecca Ramirez says:

Will it remylenate damaged myelin? If so, what percentage of patients demonstrate visible disability improvement and at what timeline?

3. Bonnie says:

How soon will the drug be available for use? My neurologist’s office said their pharmacy have not gotten the medication yet.

4. Colleen says:

Is PML a possible risk? … I have seen what PML can do (to another MS patient as a result of infusions of another med) and I won’t take that chance … haven’t seen it mentioned for this …

• Erica says:

It has not had PML reported but one patient had PML due to transitioning from Tysabri. People where trying to blame Ocrelizumab but it was not at fault doctor stated that patient already had symptoms of PML before ocrelizumab.
      PML is a risk for every DMDs but some are higher than others. At the moment ocrelizumab is lower than some of the others and that is why so many are switching over since they do need an aggressive treatment but one that meets risk in the middle.