TV Personality Montel Williams to Speak About Medical Cannabis at New York Event

American TV personality Montel Williams, who uses medical cannabis to manage his multiple sclerosis symptoms, will speak at the 5th annual Cannabis World Congress and Business Exposition in New York City, May 30 to June 2.

A prominent medical cannabis advocate, Williams will discuss its legalization and acceptance, a movement that has gained increasing attention in the MS community in recent years.

He will deliver his speech at 10 a.m. Friday, June 1, at the Jacob Javits Convention Center.  It will occur at a time when interest in the legalization and acceptance of medical and recreational cannabis is building in the Tri-state area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, which have already passed legislation on the subject.

“To put it mildly, we live in interesting times when it comes to cannabis policy,” Williams said in a press release. “I’ve been actively involved in reforms passed throughout the tri-state region, and I’m very much looking forward to the opportunity to deliver the keynote at CWCBExpo here in the city I called home for so many years.”

Williams, a former naval officer, author, radio and TV talk show host, entrepreneur and wellness advocate, was diagnosed with MS in 1999. He has used cannabis products since then to manage his symptoms. One of his advocacy projects was helping lead a push for military veterans to legally access medical cannabis without the threat of losing their benefits.

Williams started a medical cannabis-related company, LenitivLabs, in September 2016. He said he created it to develop a line of high-quality products, fund research, work closely with regulators, and provide proper education on medical cannabis to the public.

In November 2016, LenitivLabs teamed up with BAS Research, California’s first licensed medicinal marijuana manufacturing and research company, to develop, produce and market medical-grade cannabis products.

BAS’s products are aimed at people with chronic diseases like MS, other kinds of serious conditions — such cancer or epilepsy — and people experiencing acute pain.

Before  establishing LenitivLabs, Williams worked on advocacy campaigns that helped pass medical marijuana legislation in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

The New York event is co-produced by Leading Edge Expositions and the International Cannabis Association.

The business-to-business event targets members of the legalized cannabis industry. It is one of the leading forums for dispensary owners, growers, suppliers, investors, medical professionals, government regulators, lawyers, and entrepreneurs in the medical cannabis field.

It offers participants an opportunity to network and to discuss the next steps in the legalization of cannabis. In addition to Williams’ speech, the congress will feature a  seminar program that provides a roadmap of success for new or established businesses.

Led by industry experts in the fields of agriculture, science, law and others, the program will include presentations, lectures and discussions. Topics will range from the basics of cannabis to policy, legal and advocacy discussions.

For more information about the congress, including how to register, please visit this link. Opening-phase registration discounts are available until April 6.

Patrícia holds her PhD in Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases from the Leiden University Medical Center in Leiden, The Netherlands. She has studied Applied Biology at Universidade do Minho and was a postdoctoral research fellow at Instituto de Medicina Molecular in Lisbon, Portugal. Her work has been focused on molecular genetic traits of infectious agents such as viruses and parasites.
×

1. Shirley DeBlase says:

I have MS. I live in a state where I might be able to get medical cannabis the cost of the drs. And the cannabis is very expensive and not covered bt insurance. Will it ever be covered?

2. Marie Heron says:

Montel, I was diagnosed in 1984. You were my inspiration. I now host a podcast. Living with M.S. Truth be told. http://www.truthbetold.ca I would love if you could be a guest. Your inspiration is so valuable. Here in Canada, Marijuana will be legal July 1, 2018. Let’s have you share your stories with all of our Truth be told listeners

3. Melissa Snelling says:

My name is Melissa and I’ve been living w MS for 6yrs. I’m in remission now but I continue to seek out possible cures and any new meds that will help those who suffer now and I do like stem cell research and I support Cannabis and how it helps as well.we just can’t get MS and are told oh, yes, just take this and you’ll feel better. We need a lot of different avenues to go to and get real relief without a ton of side affects for a better life. A real life with promise!

4. Suki says:

Hello,
    I live in Canada and was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with MS. I was prescribed Copaxane but I am afraid to take it when I asked my family doctor and my neurologist about CBD oil, I was quickly told no? I also asked for other options and was given none. Very overwhelmed and scared. Then I remembered you, Montel had also got MS.
    What do you recommend? What can I do to get better and not relapse?

• Gwen Kim Choy says:

Hi Suki, my 17 year old daughter was diagnosed when she was 15 and is now taking Copaxone as well it is rough but it truly helps her from relapsing, we are currently researching for a pill form because of her anxiety with needles because she can’t have a pill form until she’s 18. Thank you

5. Hello my name is Claire Garcia & my 28 year old daughter Alexandria Garcia was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis this July of 2018. My daughter and I would like to know how long did it take you to gain your strength and what medications you’ve taken, did you have any relapses?, and how long after you were diagnosed did you learn to live a normal life? My daughter is always fatigued and cannot run, she just got out of a wheelchair and diapers this past September. We are desperate as a family to find a way for her to be able to function as she used to, she is not working anymore due to her multiple sclerosis, and it’s frustrating her. My daughter did her first year of teaching as a biology teacher at the high school and unfortunately over the summer was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She tried to go back to work this past December and was completely fatigued and could not handle working. I pray to God that Montel Williams can read this comment and my concern and reach out to me regarding this matter. You have been an inspiration for decades now. Signed a hopefull mom.

My email address [email protected].

God bless you & thank you for reading my email.

6. Michelle keiser says:

Montel I have been diagnosed me for 30 years . I would love to know if you treat with tysobri or copaxone for a treatment please share you story . I have followed you since the first book of yours thanks Michelle