Aspirin Suppresses MS Symptoms by Preventing Loss of Regulatory T-cells, Mouse Study Shows

Aspirin, administered orally at low doses, was sufficient to suppress multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms in a mouse model of relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS) and chronic MS, a study reports.

The clinical benefits of aspirin were linked to an increase in the number of regulatory T-cells, those responsible for shutting down overreactive immune responses (a hallmark of MS), via the increase of interleukin-11 (IL-11).

The study, “Aspirin ameliorates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis through interleukin-11–mediated protection of regulatory T cells,” was published in the journal Science Signaling.

A misguided and overactive immune response against myelin, the fat-rich substance that wraps around nerve fibers (axons), is the underlying mechanism of MS. This attack is mainly mediated by immune system cells called T-cells.

The immune system is tightly regulated, and since every immune response needs to come to an end, the body relies on a special group of cells called regulatory T-cells, or Tregs, which act as the “good police” and shut down the immune response triggered by overreacting T-cells.

However, in MS, there is a substantial decrease in the activity and number of Tregs.

Aspirin, whose active agent is acetylsalicylic acid, is probably the most used anti-inflammatory medicine, prompting a group of researchers to evaluate its immune modulatory effects in a well-established mouse model of MS called the experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) model.

Join our forums and be part of the Multiple Sclerosis News Today Community!

The team found that a low dose of oral aspirin suppressed the clinical symptoms of EAE in mouse models of both RRMS and chronic disease, compared with control (non-treated) EAE mice.

Aspirin had a marked effect in reducing the infiltration of inflammatory cells into the spinal cord, and prevented the loss of myelin.

To understand how aspirin protects from EAE disease, researchers evaluated how it affected the number and activity of Tregs, paying close attention to a subgroup of Tregs that have high levels of a transcription factor called Foxp3, previously shown to protect against EAE.

Results showed that aspirin prevented the loss of Tregs, and that this was the mechanism by which aspirin eases MS symptoms — depleting Tregs through a different approach erased the protective effects of aspirin on EAE mice.

Researchers then evaluated how aspirin affects a group of pro-inflammatory cells called Th17 and Th1 lymphocytes. Th17 cells play a key role in the destruction of the nerve cells’ protective myelin layer. The results showed that aspirin suppressed the development of both Th17 and Th1 cells, reducing inflammation and myelin damage.

Further experiments showed that the aspirin-induced increase in Treg numbers was mediated by the medicine’s effects in promoting the production of a signaling molecule called IL-11. In fact, IL-11 alone was sufficient to maintain the number of Foxp3-positive Tregs and protect mice from EAE.

“The effects of aspirin required the cytokine IL-11, which was itself sufficient to promote Treg stability and protect the mice from EAE development. These data suggest that low-dose aspirin regimens may benefit patients with MS,” the researchers wrote.

They concluded that the results “highlight an undiscovered property of aspirin and suggest the possibility that low-dose aspirin may be repurposed for therapeutic intervention in MS and other demyelinating conditions as an adjunct [add-on] therapy.”

Patricia holds her Ph.D. in Cell Biology from University Nova de Lisboa, and has served as an author on several research projects and fellowships, as well as major grant applications for European Agencies. She also served as a PhD student research assistant in the Laboratory of Doctor David A. Fidock, Department of Microbiology & Immunology, Columbia University, New York.
×
Latest Posts
  • Anti-CD20 Therapies
  • imaging and prognosis
  • Gilenya and China
  • NurOwn clinical trial

1. Cindy Winters says:

At least ten years ago, I saw a Phase 3 clinical trial being done in numerous sites around the country. The subject was this same one—treating MS with aspirin although I believe at a higher dose. I think the Mayo Clinic was the lead on it. Then it just disappeared. No money in treating MS with aspirin.

• Stephanie says:

The inner pain of squeezing bones and lungs are hard to take. And since my diagnosis last year just after my 31st birthday almost a regular expectation. The only way I’m moving is I have to grit my teeth clench my fists (if I have fill use of them that is) and wait for the next day.

2. Jennifer says:

I have had MS for 30 years with minimal disability. I credit prayer, low saturated fat diet under 10mg per day, and vitamin D. D and aspirin may be key to curing this dreadful disease.

3. Michael Cavallo says:

I’ve had MS for over 40 years. I became totally disabled back in December 2017. Back in the late 1970s, my old neurologist (Dr. Gerard Lehrer, Mount Sinai, NYC) suggested that aspirin might help. I feel that it did alleviate some symptoms, especially in hot days. As I am no longer ambulatory, I no longer take it, but I feel it did help in the past.
    Maybe it does have therapeutic benefits.

4. Dorothy says:

I agree with you, Cindy. My husband has had progressive MS for 50 years. The only thing that helped him was Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. He had treatments ten years ago for four months, twice a day and no longer has urinary urgency. He is in a wheelchair now and continues to get physical therapy. We recently tried Ocrevus but he ended up in the hospital with a severe UTI so we stopped that. Thank God Mecicare paid the $65,000 and not us. Big Pharma will only push expensive drugs, of which usually come with serious side effects. I will discuss the asprin therapy with his doctor soon. Good luck

5. Gael Hepworth says:

Pretty simple fix, not expensive and easy to do… May be worth taking a low dose aspirin and see how it does with reducing inflammation. I do believe my regular Vitamin D, low saturated fat diet, regular activity has mitigated my disease RRMS over 30 years and still walking. Fatigue – Yes, Restless legs – Yes, but still determined to work and enjoy my life.. So I will add this simple fix to my daily Regime. I had been using this for years – Initially thought I had a stroke before MS was diagnosed so time to return to the low dose aspirin!

6. ita sara says:

I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2005. In 2014 I had one incident of A-fib and went to the hospital. It was suggested I take low dose aspirin. So I did for maybe a year or so. Because I had a lot of superficial bleeding into the skin of my arms, I spoke with my cardiologist who said that low ASA might be preventative of colon CA but as far as my A-fib went it was not that necessary that I take it. I had read some articles that agreed with him, so I stayed on the ASA for a little longer. Then I got tired of the splotchiness on my arms so decided to stop it all together. However as far as my MS is concerned, I have had a rather innocuous disease. Looking back , I cannot say aspirin made any difference at all for my MS. I have had a mild MS journey from my first symptom of transverse myelitis with some chronic bladder issues that have been with me a long time and which could also be an aging problem with no specific exacerbations even until now. I have not had any more incidences of A-fib.

7. Kahleel Ellis says:

I have MS, and had it for almost two yrs and actually thought it to be from malnutrition as I was beginning
    to eat poorly beacause uh I was poor lol. Bt then thought it to be from depression sometime later. To then,find out well that wasn’t the case.
    I had asked for a Catecholamine test few days ago from my doctor because uh why keep tryin new products when you can just just cut to da chase right? BOOO! yea yea I know lol. Anyway, everything was fine. But, was on Setraline and Wellbutrin for those prior few weeks till I began to notice yo fr nothing was changing. Nothing significant. Only a slight change. Which actually came from Wellbutrion. Which is adequate in Dopamine and Norepinephrine and, actually, with a small portion of Seratonin. But end of the day my cognitive abilities,my chronic fatigue, muscle weakness, eyes and tingling sensations (which actually progressed) didn’t improve. And yes I needed answers. So did some research (the Myelin Sheath and Oligodendracyte get toe up from viral infections, literally strips the insulation(nodes made up of the Shwann Cells Myelin Sheath wrappings to , nothing. And gets even worse if left untreated when time elapses. And my Sodium Ions in the Axon Membrane now move slow and don’t even make it to their initial targets without their insulation. N’ don’t even get me started within the leakage process)) and pin pointed my symptoms with my low white blood cell count, mild inflammation from my C-Protein test (other one was a peace a ) and Mononucleosis that was found in my blood test months back. Idk, wasn’t even kissin nybody Yah no. So I went back to my doctor and proclaimed it to be either from Muscle Dytrophy or MS. And she as well agreed. As she was diagnosing me with Ataxia. Very similar. So, time moving forward. I’m now, today, awaiting my appointment with the Neurologist soon to run more tests. But it’s just between the two. I know it. However, still need some additional proof tho. Hopein he proscribes me with one of the Myelin repair prescriptions too as I’ve heard really good things from em. But end of the day my quality of life has just been and I’m too in need of my life back. Like fr. This is bull. I am an undergrad student, well was..dropped out of EWU few yrs back but coming back soon here and I’m an amateur fighter.I box. N’ been at it 4yrs strong. Yea I get down ha (Pop da colla). But had to stop training because I just wouldn’t step into the ring anymore. Nah somethings wrong. And thing was I just didn’t know why. Left everyone wit question marks man. Just couldn’t move or pop right. So I just stopped showin up. And said nothin. Been labeled odd from the get go but that’s just cuz I love to study and use fancy words lol. But yo F it. Sorry. I’m me. Anyway, I shadow box almost every night and always gotta cut it short because I get pissed and so angry at the world cuz I’m just not me anymore. So ugh… anyway, now in the wait. And tryin this Bayer 325mg Asprin right now for anti-inflammatory ta see if it does somethin. I need my life back. Miss the ring. N’ wanna get back ta workin up. Not this fragile .
    So hopein for somethin wit this till I see the Neurologist. Bt I gotta say…aye, think it’s workin 🙂