Essential Oils for Multiple Sclerosis

Essential Oils for Multiple Sclerosis
4.3
(25)

What Does Aromatherapy do?

Essentials oils are the newest trend. If you are late to the party, that’s OK. They’ve been around for centuries so they are likely to stick around for a while more. There’s plenty of research behind this aromatic fad. We’ve uncovered some ways essential oils that might help with multiple sclerosis.

essential-oils-for-multiple-sclerosis-ms

Like herbs and minerals, the FDA does not regulate essentials oils. Most medical doctors don’t consider them a valid treatment for what ails you, but those who use them are true believers. But check with your doctor first. If you have allergies or anaphylaxis, you’ll probably want to avoid most essential oils. By and large, though, they’re worth a try.

The National Center for Biotechnology Information states that, in MS patients, “essential oils (aromatherapy) may give symptomatic relief with sleep, relaxation, joint mobility, and an improved sense of well-being.” Below is a list of the essential oils to that may help to ease symptoms of various conditions.

Massage Today suggest these uses of essential oils:

For Pain:  Spike lavender, sweet marjoram, lavender, petitgrain, Roman and German chamomile, clary sage, lemongrass, helichrysum, peppermint, ginger, black pepper.

For Stress:  Rose otto, frankincense, clary sage, sweet orange, bergamot, grapefruit, ylang ylang, sandalwood, neroli, sweet marjoram, petitgrain, mandarin, lavender, rose geranium, tangerine, jasmine.

For Sleep:  Lavender, neroli, jasmine, marjoram, Roman chamomile.

For Sense of Well-Being:  Frankincense, lavender, rose, mandarin, neroli, helichrysum.

For Headaches:  Lavender, peppermint, marjoram, Roman chamomile.

For Circulation:  Rosemary, ginger, black pepper, peppermint, lemongrass, rose geranium.

Early research shows more possible benefits for essential oils in these areas:

For Antioxidant Properties:  Lavender.

For Anticancer Properties: Lemongrass, thyme.

For Anti-inflammatory Properties: Myrrh, frankincense.

For Nausea: Peppermint, spearmint.

For  Hormone Regulation: Thyme, coconut.

For Brain Function and Nerve: Coconut.

Stay up to date in our MS Community.

Multiple Sclerosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4.3 / 5. Vote count: 25

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

• Tanya Cottle says:

I recommend 2-3 drops in your diffuser. You can also apply the oils directly to your body, especially on pulse points(wrists, back of neck,bottom of feet)
      Some can be taken internally too, but only Doterra Essential Oils which are Certified pure therapeutic grade.
      I am a Welllness Advocate for Doterra. Find me here

• KL says:

There are many more brands that are certified pure therapeutic grade oils like Young Living oils – probably the purest as they are organically certified seed to seal!! 🙂
        The BEST!!!1

• Catherine Mount says:

I’m sure they are great quality but there is no such thing as therapeutic grade. There’s no actual official standard and/or testing that actually could determine such a thing.

• Lynn says:

I use DoTeerra, they claim that is a pure on also. I see nothing wrong with Young Living either. Those are the 2 purest brands out there from what I’ve researched. I have MS and needing to get back to these oils, they really do work. Thanks KL

• Jacqueline says:

Internal use of essential oils is a very aggressive treatment and should only be used under the care of a trained professionals; a doctor. If you must take essential oils internally only 1 drop/10kg body weight for adults and children over 12, and for no longer than 3 weeks in length.

• Jacqueline says:

Essential oils are extremely potent which makes sense when you look at the quantity of plants it takes to extract a small amount of essential oil. It is not advised to apply essential oil directly to your skin. You should always use a carrier oil, of which there are many to choose, each with their own therapeutic properties.
        There are many “therapeutic grade” essential oils on the market aside from Doterra. Certification is available upon request from any reputable reseller. It is true that a few oils are safe to take internally, but many are not. It would be wise to consult a physician before taking any essential oil internally.

• RStout says:

No. Doterra is not the only oils which are certified pure therapeutic grade oils.
        Young Living oils have farms which anyone at any time can visit. Doterra does not.
        Young Living is in constant control of their seeds to the time the oil is sealed in the bottle. No other company can say this.
        Young Living developed & refind the distillation system used to produce the purest 100% oil.

• Erica Levi says:

You really shouldn’t make false statements like doTerra is the only one they should use. You are just trying to promote sales for your mom membership. Shame on you!

• Amy says:

Hi! Depending on which oil you are using, the drops will vary. As an example, for an energy/uplifting blend I like to diffuse 3 drops wild orange and 2 drops peppermint 😉
      @just_breathe_oil

• Jacqueline says:

When using essential oils in a diffuser, it is recommended adding 1-6 drops of your essential oil or essential oil blend to a full reservoir of water (roughly 2 cups). If you were doing a steam inhalation, add 2-3 drops to a bowl with hot water, cover the head with a towel and breathe in (should not be used with asthmatics). You could also add 1-10 drops of essential oil or blend to the water of a humidifier.

1. Christine Hoffman says:

You can use young living oils which are certified Seed to Seal. My husband has MS, and these are the only essential oils I use!

• Pat Mckenzie says:

This is what I have started using as well. I have slowly come off of my sleeping medication with just using lavender on my feet at bedtime.

• Alexandra Clarke says:

Hi Gabi,

I am currently training to be Clinical Aromatherapist. Please do not attempt to use essential oils internally without being guided by a qualified aromatherapist – and, to be entirely honest, the majority of trained aromatherapists would probably not recommend you do so with the majority of oils.

Those promoting DoTerra or Young Living are not qualified aromatherapists, they are just sharing their personal experiences and (potentially) selling products too – please, please, please go and get treatment from a professional, accredited aromatherapist!

To find a registered aromatherapy, please look online with the IFPA in the UK or with IFA in the US.

Best wishes,
          Alex

2. Amanda says:

Young Living is the only oil we use. Seed to seal verified. Interested in a sample and some information? Feel free to contact me! I love sharing these amazing oils!!

3. Alene says:

Thanks so much for sharing such great information about oils! I’m curious, frankinscense is an immunostimulent oil is this safe for autoimmune disease? I’m curious if it helps to balance out the immune dysfunction or if it would stimulate the disfunction.
    Thanks 😊
    Alene

• Christy says:

Alene, I saw at doTERRA convention last year how the On Guard blend helps immune systems function properly where it balances how our bodies respond. My understanding is that all the oils work with our body to produce the right response that is needed.

• Lisa Hughes says:

I just happen t do some research for a friend. Progessence Plus helps with balance I’m using it for hot flashes it has balanced me out there just about gone so I would give that a try to start if you have any questions feel free to ask

• Lynn says:

I sent this to the person Catherine Mount, that introduced us to the product. Hoping she will answer. Be Well, Catherine. Lisa Hughes, you have questions from me and other people very interested in where to by Progessence Plus. You left this remark and may nopt have noticed that we are very interested in the oil. They are asking what it is, what it does for our body and where to get it. Thank you so much, excited to learn more about this. Be well…

• Lynn says:

• Lynn says:

I sent this to the person Debbie Sax, that introduced us to the product. Hoping she will answer. Be Well, Debbie. Lisa Hughes, you have questions from me and other people very interested in where to by Progessence Plus. You left this remark and may nopt have noticed that we are very interested in the oil. They are asking what it is, what it does for our body and where to get it. Thank you so much, excited to learn more about this. Be well…

• Lynn says:

I sent this to the person Tammy, that introduced us to the product. Hoping she will answer. Be Well, Tammy. Lisa Hughes, you have questions from me and other people very interested in where to by Progessence Plus. You left this remark and may not have noticed that we are very interested in the oil. They are asking what it is, what it does for our body and where to get it. Thank you so much, excited to learn more about this. Be well…

4. Marylène Dubois says:

I’m diagnosed with MS since two years ago and “brain fog” is my biggest problem. What do you suggest for that?

• Michelle says:

HI Millie – what YL oils are you using specifically? Asking for a friend that was diagnosed this year. I am a frequent YL oil user 🙂

• Mia Emilia Alexa Baes says:

My 19 years old daughter was diagnosed with MS in 2014. We found the Young Living EOs being the most efective. Beside giving her the raindrop technique, she’s using single oils: Sacred Frankincense, Frankincense, Geranium, Rosemary, Helichrysum and Juniper and blends like: Pan Away, Acceptance, Awaken, Valour, Cool Azul and Ruta Valla. She is doing amazingly well.

5. Nicole R Eaglin says:

I am on Ocrevus as of August and now I am experiencing seizures . Do you think it’s (oils) counter acting with the drug?

6. Cem says:

Hi I don’t usually comment on threads but have experience of seizures because of my son who has autism. Camphor, Eucalyptus, Hyssop, Rosemary, Sage, Spike Lavender and Tansy. There are others.
    Clary sage and Lavender Angustifolia (general Lavender) are fine and can help.

Wishing you all the best.

7. Cem says:

Sorry the above should have said avoid the following oils if seizures are an issue:-
    Camphor, Eucalyptus, Hyssop, Rosemary, Sage, Spike Lavender and Tansy.

8. S. Cook says:

I would appreciate information about using essential oils for MS. I was diagnosed in 2002 after an episode of ocular neurosis. I am no longer employed due to complications with this disease. Cognitive fatigue is an issue I would like to learn more about. It’s very frustrating and causes emotional distress. There are othrr symptoms with the disease as well. Immune system related suggestions are especially appreciated since I am being treated with Lemtrada.

9. Carol says:

I have used other oils and there is nothing as pure as Doterra.
    When you start seeing these oils being used in hospitals,medical center’s,vets.You know then you have your hands on something special. Watch how fast Doterra is growing,we are saving the planet one drop at a time..

10. rosette says:

My experience with Dottera oil is amazing!!!!! I was diagnose with colon and breast cancer in 2012 and 2013. If it was not for Dottera oil i would not be here today. As of today cancer free. Love Dottera oil and what it has done for me. If any one needs help please feel free to visit My web site and leave me a message.I would love to share my knowledge on using these oils. mydoterra.com/rosetteyacoub1

• Lynn says:

I sent this to the person Jiummy, that introduced us to the product. Hoping she will answer. Be Well, Jimmy. Lisa Hughes, you have questions from me and other people very interested in where to by Progessence Plus. You left this remark and may nopt have noticed that we are very interested in the oil. They are asking what it is, what it does for our body and where to get it. Thank you so much, excited to learn more about this. Be well…

11. Shari L Henderson says:

Having tried a few different brands, I have found Original Swiss Aromatics the purest of the pure essential oils. Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt is genuinely concerned with the quality of the oils and has been involved in essential oils for decades. He knows his stuff! Never have I had any better results from any other company. This is not a sales pitch; I was just tired of so many companies claiming this or that and finding out they were just marketing BS. Over and over aromatherapists and teachers consistently said OSA’s oils were the best (with no marketing hype or anything in it for them) because of Dr. Schnaubelt’s knowledge and dedication to providing genuine authentic oils. He truly cares about people, not the money.

• Evonne C Woycitzky says:

Shari L. Henderson:I’m glad you found a company you trust. As a Aromatherapist, it is important to me to be able to know the chemical breakdown of the essential oils I use. (Yes, the chemical breakdown does change from batch to batch, things that affect that are climate, altitude that the plant is grown, amount of moisture during growing season, etc). After trying many companies with the same frustrating results you got, I was introduced to Aromatic International. There data sheets for every oil they sell is online, no special request to get it, you can even compare batches online. Prices are fair. I do NOT sell these oils directly, do NOT get any $$ from the company for folks I send to them. This is my experience with these oils. All I can say is give them a try, as you knowledge of EO’s grows, the chemical breakdowns may become important to you.

12. Shari L Henderson says:

I want to add regarding Original Swiss Aromatics to go the website, read the sections: About Us, FAQs,
    and Dr. Kurt’s blog. You will learn so much.
    I also purchased his books: The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils (wow, informative!), and Advanced Aromatherapy (more information and treatments for various conditions).
    Dr. Schnaubelt has been involved here in the States with essential oils since 1983 so he is no fly-by-night. His reputation is outstanding.
    I like Doterra oils but OSAs are even better and are less expensive for the most part. And no membership or certain dollar amount you have to spend.
    You can also go to Dr. Robert Pappas, Essential Oil University site where customers send him unopened bottles of EOs they have purchased and test results done by Dr. Pappas are shown on his website. You’ll find out which brands sell fraudulent oils.
    Absolutely true what post said: Therapeutic grade is just a marketing term. Don’t be fooled by it.

13. Julie says:

Pure essential oils are very potent. Definitely start low and build as your body adjusts to them. I have been using Young Living oils for the last five years (diffusing, topically and ingesting) them without a problem. I actually was on 12 different medications for my MS. As of four years ago, I am down to two. I major credit to a fabulous neurologist and Young Living oils and Young Living supplements. They truly were and are a game changer for so many people.

14. Erica Levi says:

Shame on all of you MLM sellers trolling for business on sites like this! You’re dishing out advice left and right, but don’t have the training (this is coming from a certified aromatherapist)! It is clear many of you don’t have MS, or when someone is asking for help with balance, you’d know they meant mechanical balance not harmony balance!
    Please, if you are trying to help your disease and symptoms got to a company like, Original Swiss Aromatics where one of the top medicinal Aromatherapist Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt or Plant Therapy.com with world renowned aromatherapist Robert Tiserand, where both companies have fully trained and certified aromatherapists to answer and suggest essential oils for you. Plus, the sell organic and you won’t be duped into pay quadruple the amount of $ the MLM’S charge so they can pay all the rep commissions. If a rep for a company says theirs is the only one you know to walk away!

15. Kristine Schade says:

I would like to do this for my cousin. She has ms. Can I mix these oils with lotion and if so how many drops per oz. Thank you