#ACTRIMS2018 – Clene Nanomedicine Presents Positive Results for MS Remyelinating Therapy

Clene Nanomedicine says its pre-clinical studies demonstrate the remyelination effects of CNM-Au8, supporting its potential to treat multiple sclerosis (MS) and other demyelinating disorders.

Clene presented its data in a session, “Nanocrystalline Gold As a Novel Remyelination Therapeutic for Multiple Sclerosis,” that took place at the third annual Americas Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ACTRIMS) Forum in, held Feb. 13 in San Diego.

In MS, demyelination — the loss of the myelin sheaths surrounding neurons — is accompanied by a disturbance in the ability of nerve cells to conduct signals to and from the brain.

CNM-Au8 is an orally administered gold nanocrystal suspension that triggers oligodendrocyte cells to produce new myelin. Oligodendrocyte precursor cells are present in adult brains and have been detected in and around MS lesions. Yet they must be activated into mature oligodendrocytes in order to produce new myelin. CNM-Au8 induces the activation and differentiation of oligodendrocyte precursor cells.

CNM-Au8 has been shown to induce remyelination in multiple animal models of MS. Researchers demyelinated these animal models either by feeding them cuprizone, a toxin, to demyelinate neurons in the central nervous system, or injecting them with lysolecithin to demyelinate spinal nerve axons.

In the lysolecithin model, through the use of Luxol fast blue (LFB) staining, CNM-Au8 was found to induce remyelination. Researchers commonly use LFB to observe myelin under a microscope. Furthermore, behavioral and fine motor assays in cuprizone-treated mice showed that CNM-Au8 restored behavioral function following demyelination.

The results also suggested that CNM-Au8 enhances cellular bioenergetic processes, which most likely helps increase myelination.

One of the major drawbacks to therapies now used to treat MS is that they don’t work to remyelinate MS lesions.

“Remyelination of MS lesions represents an important unmet clinical need unaddressed by current therapies,” Mark S. Freedman, neurology professor at Canada’s University of Ottawa, said in a press release. “Clene’s preclinical remyelination data are very encouraging, and the proposed mechanism of action of enhanced bioenergetics driving cellular differentiation and myelin production is unique and represents a paradigm shift in MS therapeutics.”

Added Clene’s CEO, Rob Etherington: “The therapeutic potential of CNM-Au8 for helping patients with demyelinating disorders is significant. No other drugs approved for the treatment of MS have been shown to remyelinate chronic MS-induced lesions. For this reason, we are looking forward to the launch of our VISIONARY-MS Phase 2 trial in the summer of 2018 with oral administration of CNM-Au8 in adults with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis who suffer from chronic optic neuropathy.”

Clene, which is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, collaborated with Stephen D. Miller of Northwestern University and Robert H. Miller of George Washington University in these pre-clinical studies.

1. melvin spears says:

awesome !! great news !! where does one sign up to be considered to be a part of the planned upcoming clinical trial ? i would very much like to be considered for the clinical trial if possible.

Melvin Spears

2. Kevin Estrem says:

My wife has primary progressive MS but has had no active lesions for her last 5 MRIs making her ineligible for some other new therapies that have come out in the last 12 months. She’s immobile from her stomach to her toes (still has feeling, just no motor function.
    She is 63 years old and was diagnosed in May 2010. Would she be a candidate to try this new oral therapy?

• John Bell says:

Dear Kevin
      From the description you gave about your wife’s
      PPMS , it sounds as if she would be a prime candidate for
      MD1003 or (Biotin) My wife Sandra is taking it and we are
      sure that she has stopped getting any worse !
      Read up on biotin for progressive MS and good
      luck to you both
      Regards. John

3. LAURIE says:

I’m hoping this will work on all types of MS. We need to
    find better ways to treat this disease. Especially for those of us who have tried anything and everything but have only gotten worse.

4. Christopher says:

This earth moving break threw is a positron introduced bye a computer sequence transferred and processed bye a scientific reversal, as in the MATRIX…. Blessings to the master Creator for Codes>>>><<<<<<<< <<<<<<Beautiful Code Breakers<<<<<<

5. Merichel says:

Great news! Hope they can make this work as a treatment for humans without severe side effects. If it’s safe this would be the best thing ever discovered for us.

6. Marla Couch says:

I would like to take part in this clinical trial. I have relapse remitting MS. How do I sign up for this? I was diagnosed in April 2010.

Thank you.

7. Dave says:

Unfortunately, by the time most of us folks inflicted Ms can benefit, it will not matter…but thanks for trying. So much for Trump trying to fast track things through the U.S. pharmaceutical system. Oh well. Big pharmaceutical is much thicker than any border wall we will ever have😉 Well folks keep yer heads up. Godspeed To your health.😋

8. Dale says:

hi

Would like to sign up my brother who has MS for 5 years now and is degenerating quickly. Any person that you could recommend that we could contact?

9. Eamonn Cullen says:

I suffer with AMN and these early trials suggest that this drug maybe beneficial for my condition. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to try this new drug.

Regards
    Eamonn

10. Shiwanshu Shiwam says:

I have diagnosed for MS in December 2017. The first attack was the weakness in right hand and right leg. This affected my motor function and now I cannot write properly as before.
    As per Doctor, There is no cure and I have to live with this and wait for next attack which can be anything as per MS symptoms. Please advise if any treatment is there to slow the progress.

11. Stacie Zeller says:

Sign me up. I am a 45 year old Caucasian woman. I’ve had MS for 20 years. The last year-and-a-half MS has tried to Define who I am but it’s Mind Over Matter. I will win. Currently not on any medication. Prior medications started with Copaxone ended with Tecfidera. Would love more information on this study

12. Warrior says:

“For this reason, we are looking forward to the launch of our VISIONARY-MS Phase 2 trial in the summer of 2018 with oral administration of CNM-Au8 in adults with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis who suffer from chronic optic neuropathy.”

13. Diagnosed in July 2017
    At 69 years old, shocked at that news but in thinking back I remember things changing mobility wise back to 2000. I presently have no use of my legs. Haven’t (cannot) walk or stand.Any kind of relief of this crippling disease would be welcome. I would definately be very interested in taking part in any tests & studies. Sign me up. Thank you.

14. Julie says:

I would like to take part in the trial if available. I have had RRMS since 2010 and have tried 4 different medications. Now on Ocrevus. I have had many relapses. I would love to see if my myelin can be reversed. You can contact me anytime at my email address. Thank You