Fat-Derived Stem Cells a Potential Safe, Feasible Treatment for Secondary Progressive MS, Trial Shows

Fat-derived stem cells are a safe and feasible treatment strategy for patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, results from a Phase 1/2 clinical trial show.

Findings were published in the study, “Adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells (AdMSC) for the treatment of secondary-progressive multiple sclerosis: A triple blinded, placebo controlled, randomized phase I/II safety and feasibility study,” in the journal PLOS One.

Relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) and secondary progressive MS (SPMS) are the two main subtypes of multiple sclerosis (MS). While significant progress has been made in the treatment of RRMS, very few treatments have shown promise for SPMS.

Because SPMS likely results from neurodegeneration, researchers have become interested in exploring stem cells as a potential treatment. Stem cells can help repair the central nervous system to some extent, which has been demonstrated in animal models of MS. Thus, stem cells have the potential to correct some level of neurodegeneration.

Adipose (fat)–derived stem cells (AdMSCs) are advantageous because they can be acquired through a minimally invasive procedure called a lipectomy — a surgical procedure to remove body fat. The use of AdMSCs, however, has not been thoroughly explored in patients with SPMS.

Therefore, researchers set out to determine the safety and feasibility of treating SPMS patients with two different doses of AdMSCs in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial (NCT01056471).

Researchers first obtained the AdMSCs from consenting patients through a lipectomy. Then, 30 of these patients were randomized to receive either a single infusion of placebo, low-dose AdMSCs (1×106cells/kg), or high-dose ADMSCs (4×106cells/kg), and followed for 12 months. In total, 11 patients were given placebo, 10 were given low-dose, and nine were given high-dose AdMSCs.

During the treatment time period, only one serious adverse event was observed in the AdMSC treatment group — one patient developed a urinary infection, which was not considered related to the treatment. There were no other safety issues.

Measures of treatment effectiveness did not show a conclusive effect, likely due to the fact that the study was not powered — or designed — to demonstrate such an effect.

Based on the results, the team concluded that AdMSC infusion is safe and feasible for SPMS patients.

“In this phase 1/2 proof-of-concept trial, intravenous infusion of AdMSCs was safe over the 12-month follow-up period. The pattern of AEs [adverse events] reported was one that would be expected from the underlying disease. No related serious AEs occurred and laboratory tests, vital signs, and spirometry [test assessing lung function] did not identify any safety issues,” the researchers wrote.

“Although the study was not powered to determine the efficacy, some hint of efficacy was observed by the use of MRI and evoked potentials. Larger studies would be needed to investigate the potential therapeutic benefit of the technique,” they said.

• Patricia J. Barrett says:

I have Secondary Progressive MS I am very interested in the Stem Cell Therapy. I am on Medicare need the insurance to pay for it!! I need to know what the cost is!! I have tried everything I can, please help me. I live in the USA. Where can I get the treatment? The closest to southern Indiana!! This sounds positive help all of us before we all suffering daily with this HORRIBLE disease DIE!! Thank you!!

1. Helene Patterson says:

I was Diagnosed with MS 25 years ago. I have progressed to SPMS. Two years ago I had stem cells deployed into my spinal cord and blood stream. Before this treatment I was rapidly losing my abilities. After the treatment I gained back a lot of my abilities. I had to pay $7000 dollars for this treatment. I went back a year later for another treatment with less stem cells and it did not have as good results. I believe stem cells could help people with MS I am proof. I cannot go back for more treatments because I cannot afford it.

• Steven says:

Where did you have this treatment,as I am interested in going. I have had ms now 33 years and now progressed to pms.look forward to your reply.Steven

• Mike says:

Helene, I am also SPMS. WAS dx’d in 2002 & am also declining. I am going for the umbilical form of stem cells next month. Also spinal injections & an IV. I am praying I get good results as well. I talked to someone who was like me. 14 months later he still feels great with no symptoms.

• Roy Apuzzo says:

Nice to hear that Stem Cells worked for your MS. I have Primary progressive MS. Was diagnosis with MS at age 55 after a Doctor said my right leg drop foot was because of bad back. After 2 failed spine surgeries, it resulted in failed L5-S1 spine fusion and primary progressive MS. Surgeries for no reason.
      Back to your Stem Cell results? Were the Stem Cell taken from you or were they from another person’s Stem Cells. Their are many different types of Stem Cells treatments and $7,000 is the lowest I heard of.
      Would lover to here from you?
      Roy

2. Dave Hall says:

I would like to obtain contact information for this program. I was diagnosed with MS in 2009, and realistically, I feel I was spms when diagnosed. I have had no events that I could relate to as a relapse.

3. Laura Park says:

I would love to try this procedure! I was diagnosed in 2006 with RRMS & have since progressed to SPMS. Please send me contact information for this program.

Thank you.

4. Roman Ksh says:

I got diagnosed with CIS in 2017. In the past year, i got my stuff together and started swank diet / substantial exercises, no meds. I was unable to run last year, now i run a mile outside and close to the same on the treadmill. I get it, I am not spms, etc… however reduction of fats particularly helps a ton. Therefore, these fat deprived stem cells do show a promise, it is logical.

• Adam F says:

Roman Ksh – I was on the Swank diet but I progressed to SPMS, so looked for a revised plan. I found the ‘Overcoming multiple sclerosis’ plan. This is based on the Swank diet but alot more indepth.

5. Grant Madden says:

Had this treatment just before Christmas.Felt better straight away.I’m probably too old for major change,62,but think it would work better on younger people.Should be funded in my opinion

6. Teresa Coe says:

I would like the contacts for this program. Ihave SPMS and would certainly like to know more.
    Has great potential.

7. Pam Houser says:

I am game. I have SPMS, but the downfall is I’m 66 years old. Have been ambulatory until 4 months ago…using walker 100% of time. Was driving 3 months ago…now no car. So I’m game.

8. Bob D says:

I had rounds of adipose derived stem cell treatment in Ocean Springs MS and spent a great deal of money…I was diagnosed in 2012, am now 50 and have RRMS. I have had no improvement unfortunately and even suffered another relapse since…I had read and hoped the stem cell treatment would send the disease into a form of remission…buyer beware