Thin But Persistent Regrowth of Myelin Layers Sign of Health in CNS, Study Says

Thin But Persistent Regrowth of Myelin Layers Sign of Health in CNS, Study Says

The generation of a thin myelin sheath during remyelination — one that continues to protect nerve cells over time — is indicative of the long-term health and activity of the central nervous system (CNS) in demyelinating diseases such as multiple sclerosis (MS), a new study shows.

These findings, which aim to settle a scientific debate about CNS healing, are reported in the study “Thin myelin sheaths as the hallmark of remyelination persist over time and preserve axon function,” published in the journal PNAS.

The myelin sheath is an insulating layer of lipids (fats) and proteins that wrap around nerves. It works to speed the transmission of signals from the nerves to muscles, in order for a person to carry out activities such as walking, talking, and breathing.

Remyelination, which refers to a process through which the body rebuilds the myelin sheath when it has been stripped away due to disease, is the most powerful form of repair for the brain and the spinal cord in patients with a demyelinating disease. In the recovery phase of a disease, the body will completely remyelinate areas that have been stripped of myelin.

MS is a demyelinating disease, and in these patients remyelination can be quite extensive. The ability of the body to remyelinate nerve cells can also decline as a person ages.

1. GARY SHAMBLEN says:

Great. that’s what all us MSers need yo know for our dog or cat. All joking aside, what can we MS patients do toward achieving remyelination?

2. huri tursan says:

torturing mice, cats, dogs by dehumanizing them by calling them ‘models’. Not in my name as I totally disapprove of vivisection as this type of research is nothing but vivisection and instead of boasting of results it should not be allowed.

• Suzanne Hughes says:

I don’t like the idea of using animals for testing, but it gives scientists a basis to see what will work and what won’t work. Did you want to offer yourself to scientists to test on? I think not, haha!

3. Sherry Leighton says:

Having ms is no joke. I have a support group on Facebook called MS Stories. Please feel free to join and share your story. Love n light to you all. 💕🌞

4. Sam Bennett says:

Your disapproval is noted and summarily dismissed. This is excellent news that offers some real hope for those of us saddled with MS. Now to find a good (and affordable) treatment to promote relational.

5. Josie says:

Vitamin D actually does help to remyelinate!! Check out the Coimbra Protocol!! Also check out Progesterone to assist with remyelination. The research on Progesterone is old, but it’s out there!!

6. Gail Williams says:

This sounded so good and hopeful until I read the part about age haviing a big factor for this. Figures everything else is not helping. Sorry for being a downer.

• haslie kemp says:

Not for me either since I am 78 and have had MS for 35 years or more. But one thing my Doctor said is that the older I get my immune system in not as active and not attacking me nervous system and she call it “leveling off”

7. Albert Matarazzo says:

I am suffering from MS. Everything I read about MS is in the research stage, or it worked on a rat. I have been going to the same doctor for six years now every three months. Every time I read about stem cell treatment or a new Trial or remyelination I say how about me and I am always met with a negative response. I am on the internet every day looking for any new developments related to MS. I am tiered of looking for false hope. I don’t think there will be any major developments in my lifetime so I’m going to just manage my pain as best I can, and pray for a cure for future generations.

8. Carol Trautt says:

I’m 68 and been on Copaxone almost 4 yrs since my diagnosis. (I had MS before that, but blamed my symptoms on other things.) It has kept me stable and may have even helped a little. I read about taurine and clemastine fumarate studies. I’m adding them into my regimen. While I do this I’m going off my low dose statin as cholesterol is needed for a building block for myelin sheath. Besides all the statins I’ve been on give me leg cramps. I also take Vitamin D and several other supplements.

9. Anthony Crandall says:

Until nano procedures can assist in any treatment. These all sound like wonderful things in the future. But most people that suffer and I mean suffer from prolonged issues of MS don’t really have issue wit DE or remylenation problems. It is scar tissue that block signal use. Remove it and then a way for the body to repair the nerve is what more people that see these reports want. They have hope things will work to improve their lives even more than help those in the future. Show promise of today and the line will be long for test subjects I am sure.