Concerns about the possible danger of amalgam dental fillings have been floated for years. Several European countries already have banned their use in certain cases. Now, regulators in the U.S. have taken a small step in that direction. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a recommendation that amalgam fillings not be used for people in certain risk groups, including those with an autoimmune disease, such as multiple sclerosis.
As someone who had a mouthful of amalgam fillings as a kid, I have to wonder it they had anything to do with developing MS later in life.
People with multiple sclerosis (MS) are among the high-risk groups advised to avoid dental amalgams — silver-colored fillings that are 50% mercury — under new recommendations issued by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Amalgams can be used by dentists to restore the structure and surfaces of teeth damaged by decay.
Click here to read the full story.
Many of us with multiple sclerosis have been concerned that our disease may make us more susceptible to COVID-19. This study of people with MS who self-reported that they had been infected with the coronavirus indicates there was no greater risk for them than for the general population.
However, dig down into this story and you’ll find that of everyone who returned questionnaires, 535 (10.1%) were self-diagnosed with COVID-19, and only 75 (1.4%) reported formally testing positive. It concerns me that only 12% of those saying they’d been infected actually had a test confirming it. I worry about the accuracy of the diagnosis of the other roughly 88% who self-diagnosed. So, read the full story and judge for yourself.
This study also reports no apparent relationship between disease-modifying therapy (DMT) use and COVID-19. But read the next story below, which tells a different tale about the relationship between two DMTs and COVID-19.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?